What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Fuel Tank Vent Screens

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
After making my tank vent fitting to mount through the floor I went to find a piece of screen for the vent intake. I dug through some leftover carb parts and found a couple last-chance screens from the fuel intake seat of an edelbrock carburetor. The screens fit perfectly inside the fitting with a solid interference fit, they will not come out on their own. These screens may stick out into the airstream more, but they provide far more surface area than a small circle of screen pro-sealed to the tip of the fitting.

From my experience rebuilding many carbs, almost all of these screens are the same size across brands. They are stainless steel mesh.

FP22052011A00069.jpg

FP22052011A0006A.jpg

Fuel Vent Fitting -- Redux

As you can see, we opted to have a screen press fitted into the fitting itself

11hvvh0.jpg

How does that keep the mud daubers from closing up the open part? Just sayin'

I plan to do two things to prevent that possibility.....
1. Have "Remove Before Flight" tags for each vent
2. Have "Check Fuel Vent" on my pre-flight check list.

Then again...we do not seem to have a dauber problem here, in as so much that I have not seen any in my neck of the woods. :)

As you can see, we opted to have a screen press fitted into the fitting itself

Brett - can you send me (or post) part # and price on the vent? I am thinking of changing to the coiled tube vent on my -8. Both vents work but one does not flow as well as the other and I am concerned I have an obstruction somewhere.

Flow test was very scientific. I took off both fuel tank caps and blew into the vents!

Back