What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Flap circuit design

Junglepilot

Well Known Member
If you are installing flaps here is my circuit design. It gives you a limit switch going up and allows for incremental down flaps. It is not my original design, just cobbled from several other schematics shared on here but all in one box on a circuit board.

This link is to my builders site with drawings and photos of box.

Hope this helps someone.

http://wp.me/p1jxmo-ai

Sandy ----- simple, and looks to be extremely reliable.

I am pretty sure this will work for any elect flap, so I am moving it out of the RV8 forum to building tips.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Very clever...

Can you tell me where you got the toggle switch, and the specs for the Zener diodes?

Thanks,

Chris

Switch and Zeners

The switch is a standard heavy duty DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch with screw terminals configured on-off-(on). Parenthesis indicates "momentary". Keep that in mind installing as the "on" side needs to be up and "(on)" side down. I know's that's kind of a duhh explanantion. But you might guess how I know this :D

Here's how you wire that:

switch wiring dpdt GOOD.png

The Zener number I got from a thread on VAF. I ran it by an Aerospace Engineer buddy/pilot friend at Auburn to confirm it as being sufficient and he gave it the thumbs up.

That Zener diode number is 1N4745A-15V. Google that and you'll find it. This was easier to find and got it at local electronics shop as a pair for $4.00.

The big diode (10A-600v) was harder to find and ordered it on-line (actually bought the 600 and a 1000v), again for about $2-3.00 ea. (but shipping was $5).

The box was $2.95 for the same electronics store (not RS but a locally owned mom & pop store with everything you can imagine).

Perf board from there also for about $5.

Hope that gives better info.

Sandy

Last edited:
Back