What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Fix those idiot proof gas cans

humptybump

Well Known Member
I have one good old gas can and 6 of those idiot vent-free abominations. I've seen various kits to fix them but don't always trust the vendor. I found a solution on amazon.com

The "Hi-Flo Gas Can Spout Kit" ... but i comes with a disclaimer:

this product is banned for sale in the following states: CA, CT, DC, DE, MA, ME, MD, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA and VA

Thankfully, the white version is called the "Hi-Flo Water Can Spout Kit" and is available everywhere :D

It fits both of the common 5 gallon cans I have picked up from places like walmart.

I have undeleted this thread because it is very much RV related for those of us who are fueling our RVs with auto gas hauled from a local station in the plastic red cans.

I modified my cans by removing the interlocks in the nozzles and adding vents made from steel tire valve stems. The cans now flow great and the O-320 seems to be very happy on mogas. I sure am enjoying not having to clean the lead deposits off the black bottom of my plane! :)

I have undeleted this thread because it is very much RV related for those of us who are fueling our RVs with auto gas hauled from a local station in the plastic red cans.

I modified my cans by removing the interlocks in the nozzles and adding vents made from steel tire valve stems. The cans now flow great and the O-320 seems to be very happy on mogas. I sure am enjoying not having to clean the lead deposits off the black bottom of my plane! :)

Thanks Sam, IMHO your are the BEST moderator here hands down. Good thought put in before pushing the magic button! THANKS a million. Wish more would do the same. :)

I'm still trying to figure out why the EPA mandated the change to our gas cans? I spill more gas with these ventless cans than I ever did with the vented cans.

More wisdom by the people who brought us MTBE and ethanol.

I'm still trying to figure out why the EPA mandated the change to our gas cans? I spill more gas with these ventless cans than I ever did with the vented cans.

More wisdom by the people who brought us MTBE and ethanol.

No Sir... a politicians brother-in-law designed the change and sold he heck out of them. :D

..andanotherthing.....

I'm still trying to figure out why the EPA mandated the change to our gas cans? I spill more gas with these ventless cans than I ever did with the vented cans. More wisdom by the people who brought us MTBE and ethanol.

....the people who decided that new electrical outlets had to have the skinny hole/wide hole......so that half of my Dad's tools no longer could be plugged in!

(oh, the lives we've saved though!!!! ) :rolleyes:

Vlad is happy that I "stock" zero-e in 5-gallons cans. Now that they are all "easy pour" it should reduce his time on the ground :)

Rural King has them also!
http://www.ruralking.com/ez-pour-hi-flo-replacement-spout-kit-30051.html

Here is the video showing how to install a tire valve vent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI

To get this thread back on topic (hint :) ) I tried the rubber valve stems for vents but the gasoline attacked them and they didn't last very long. Don't know if it was just the particular batch of stems I had or what.

I found some fancy chrome metal stems at Advance Auto and they are working great. I tossed the rubber seals and used pro-seal as gaskets.

Last edited:
Vlad is happy that I "stock" zero-e in 5-gallons cans. Now that they are all "easy pour" it should reduce his time on the ground :)

Glad to hear of "VA fuel depot mod". I don't know what kind of corn syrup they blend to premium gas these days but boy e-gas stinks during winter time. Even fresh from the pump. Motor runs great though...

Makes my hand hurt!! Knowing how must fuel has been pushed thru there!!

Vlad is using a siphon pump. I couple of squeezes to get it primed and then the gas flows all by itself. Clever.....I'm still strong arming the can and pouring into a Mr. Funnel. But the fancy vents will flow about as fast as the funnel, a couple of minutes and five gallons is in the plane (and ten dollars stays in my pocket!).

Yes!

I'm going to get them ASAP..Since I live in NASCAR country I had thought about some of their very expensive quick pour cans...but this is great news. I live on an airport, but my average flight is about 10 gallons, and its easier to fill the cans at the pump and fill the plane in the barn...but lately, the long "gurgle" time of the dang compliant jugs has been getting to me.

Amazing... I've have reference e*** post deleted a many of time? I guess it is who you know. :D

Okay, this is one issue I can fix. :)

As stated before I bought the valve stems from Advance Auto. I just referenced e*** because I couldn't find a link to the stems on Advance's site.

All references to the nasty place have been deleted.

The kit I ordered has one of those plastic "vent plugs". there is a video that shows how to add it.

I ordered one of these kits to see if it works. it work great! I really like that it comes with the two different threaded collars. It turns out one color fits one common can and the other fits the second most common can.

I really like the kit I am trying (more than even my one old style can. The kit comes with a threaded extension tube which makes the strong arm process easier since the flexible spout is so long, it can be placed before the fuel starts to flow.

Now that I have confirmed it is working for me, I ordered 7 more :D

I'd be interested in any tips people have when using one of the water/debris filter funnels (I use a Mister Funnel). I don't have three hands so It's a bit of a fumble.

Last edited:
Now that I have confirmed it is working for me, I ordered 7 more :D

I'd be interested in any tips people have when using one of the water/debris filter funnels (I use a Mister Funnel). I don't have three hands so It's a bit of a fumble.

I've ordered quite a few of the "water funnel and vents" for the cans in my hangar too. They work great. It used to take over five minutes to empty 5 gallons into the heater and now I can do it under one minute.

I have the medium size Mr Funnel. I tried doing that my self a couple times and learned the hard way I need a third hand. :eek: I'm just not strong enough to hold the fuel can that high with one hand and the funnel in the other.

It's a gas...

To get this thread back on topic (hint :) ) I tried the rubber valve stems for vents but the gasoline attacked them and they didn't last very long. Don't know if it was just the particular batch of stems I had or what.

I found some fancy chrome metal stems at Advance Auto and they are working great. I tossed the rubber seals and used pro-seal as gaskets.

Sam,
Being a Jurassic MoGas aficionado, several of my more seasoned "OSHA approved" cans have a small hole drilled in the top of the handle. A small piece of Aluminum tape stands at the ready to seal the hole when necessary...:)
Simple but effective...

V/R
Smokey

PS: Florida now has Non-Ethanol Mogas as a selection alongside it's inebriated brethren fuels. A bit more spendy though...

Last edited:
Back