What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Fastener (Rivet) Spacing

Hey gang.
In the absence of having a rivet fan (I really should have one however), I created an Excel spreadsheet that has become a useful tool for me for determining fastener spacing.

The spreadsheet lets the user enter the following data:
1) Number of fasteners,
2) Length of part in integer inches and 32nds of inch, and
3) Edge Distance (ED) from part edge to first fastener along axis of fastener line - assumes ED is same on both ends.

The spreadsheet returns resultant fastener pitch, location list of each fastener position from the datum part edge in integer inches and 32nds of inch (very nice), and a residual error term.

The residual error term is that length of distance in 32nds of an inch that is numerically the following:
Error = Length of the Part - 2xED - (Number of Fasteners - 1) * Fastener Pitch.

The residual error cell has color formatting to alert the user if the residual error is greater than 2/32nds. It is easy to reduce the residual error to 2/32nds or less by adjusting the ED slightly or even the number of fasteners.

No more trying to figure out fastener spacing the hard way!

I don't know how to post a file attachment and doing so is probably not allowed anyway for security reasons. If one of the Moderators wants to have a look at the Excel file and judge for usefulness to the VAF Community and distribution; I'll be happy to email the same.

Happy New Year to all. :)

I built several aluminum airplanes without a rivet fan. No prepunched holes back in the day. I did a lot of cyphering. When starting on my 7th airplane, I bought a rivet fan.
Man, what a difference.

Of course with today's "assembly" kits, it's not such big deal.

Fastener (Rivet) Spacing

Yep Mel.
Bought a rivet fan recently - should have bought one a long time ago.

I believe the Excel tool will still be useful for determining the location of the first hole of the fan or especially if you were working a part longer than the reach of the fan. The spreadsheet will provide first hole location and hole spacing (pitch) so that when using the fan on a long part, the end result will be uniformly distributed fasteners.

Back