What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Dust Covers / Hangar "Jammies"

fl-mike

Well Known Member
Banquet tableclothes. Big seamless panels, and they're cheap. The fabric is fairly slick, so it shouldn't hold grit too easily (like flannel). Toss 'em in the washer if they get dirty. I was scratching my head trying to find a cheap easy solution when I finally had one of those "ah ha" moments.

Something like this. One will easily cover a wing.
http://www.linentablecloth.com/90x156-rectangular-tablecloth-black.html

I need one more smaller one, but covered almost the whole plane for $81 shipped.

There are some guys on our field using surplus round parachutes as whole aircraft covers.

Ready to discard (threadbare or slightly hole-y) king size sheet works well. Doesn't cover the wings out beyond the root, so the airplane as a bit of a "farmer tan", but it keeps the cowling and canopy clean, and the price is right. The dust doesn't affect my top speed much. :D

TODR

Another "option"...

...is to stop by a bed / mattress store. They will give away the plastic mattress bags that the new stuff comes in. I have used them to cover the wings on the -6A, and the canopy cover takes care of the rest.

Back