What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Deburring Tool - Sandpaper. Really.

David Paule

Well Known Member
I'm getting good results using 220 sandpaper on my wing rib flanges to deburr them. Of course in some cases they come pretty rough and I have to work on them with a Vixen file first. The sandpaper works great in the lightening holes, too.

I'm using the Norton 3X paper from Home Depot. It lasts better than any that I've used before. I did 24 main ribs with about 10 or 12 square inches of that sandpaper. Quick, quiet and easy.

It's worth going over the edges with a soft Scotchbrite drum afterwords, just to polish the edges, but that goes fast. You could use a finer grade of sandpaper if you prefer. It would certainly be quieter than spinning a Scotchbrite drum and make less mess.

Dave

Norton 220

This little gem of advice was passed on to me early in the build. I echo your thoughts on this brand of sandpaper. Unfortunately our local Home Depot has quit carrying the Norton brand. Maybe someone can post a link to a source that sells Norton 220 in the large contractor pack. I can never seem to remember the woodworking links that sell this paper.

Deburring tool

I love my scotchbrite wheel. It makes quick work of most deburring jobs. It rounds sharp edges quickly and easily. it is great for other shoothing and polishing jobs as well. That's my take anyway.

WalMart sells a Scotchbrite wheel that is made up of two scotchbrite pieces sandwiched together. Just put it a drill press and you can deburr both sides of a rib flange at the same time. You can find them in the paint section. It was a real time saver for me. This is used after the ribs are roughed in to smooth everything up.

I also use sandpaper for a lot for deburring. I got 4 long rolls of 4.5 in wide sticky backed paper from one of the woodworking sites. I think it was Rockler but I've slept since. 80, 120, 220 and 320 grit of aluminum oxide covers most anything.

I like the sticky backed because I stick it to various sanding blocks and dowels (or sharpies or what's close) or fold it into any shape I need. 220 and 320 covers most of my deburring needs and the 80 works well for fiberglass especially when stuck to different size pvc pipe.

Last edited:
Back