What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Deburring rivet holes & Misc

Peter Larsen

I'm New Here
I've been lurking here for sev eral years and never before felt that I had anything to contribute. Thanksgiving I made a discovery that I have to share.

I was de-burring rivet holes - the ones at the ends of the ribs, between the main & rear spars for my RV-7a wings. Doing the outside of the flange is only slightly less annoying than doing the inside, adjacent to the web. Looking at all the holes in the top & bottom flanges of all those ribs was really depressing. Each hole represents 4 de-burring efforts - 2 on the rib, 2 on the skin.

My favorite de-burring tool for rivet holes has been a 3 flute cutter (from a speed de-burring tool) in a 1/4-20 couple-nut that I rotate by hand. The cutter has a sharp point for small holes and is perfect, except that it kills your fingers. I've tried using it in drill-motors but, that's not contyrollable enough and doesn't fit next to rib webs.

I remembered that I had an Angle Drill and SURPRISE, SURPRISE, the bits that it uses have a 1/4-20 thread..... IOW, a perfect match for the 3 flute cutter. With 30psi the angle-drill is slow and controllable and very productive for holes in-the-flat or in rib flanges. De-burring rivet holes is now bacvk at the top of my "Fun Things 2-do" list.

Although I thought it was an extravagance I have found that a pneumatic cleco squeezer is well worth the money, for 2 reasons - clecoing is a lot faster and I don't get tired doing a "no-skill" job.

Each air tool I use has a 1/4" male, industrial fitting. They connect to a 1/4" tube "whip" about 12' long, that I make w/ appropriate fittings. It's sthe kind of tube that looks like it has a 1/8" I.D. They are easy to make and light - practically unnoticable to use. I have 3 - one from a 40psi/ rivet gun regulator, one from a 90psi/ squeezer & drill regulator, one extra.

Aircraft Spruce Pt#'s
Speed De-burring & C'sinking tool

Last edited:
Welcome !!!!

I've been lurking here for sev eral years and never before felt that I had anything to contribute. Thanksgiving I made a discovery that I have to share.

Welcome to VAF:D

Glad you finally took the plunge, good to have you here.

Great tip Peter! Working my RV8 HS, I am currently using a deburring bit that is attached to a hex shaft - similar to what you see for small drill bit shanks, but this one is about 3 inches long. I too have been using this by hand to get into tight places, and appreciate your comment about killing your fingers! I also ordered an angle drill with my tool kit and did not even think to try that for deburring. You have changed all that now. Can't wait to try it out.

Back