What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Check your back rivet set

60av8tor

Well Known Member
First off this post in no way reflects on any tool company. Mistakes happen and it's how things are handled after-the-fact that really matters. As most of you know, this company (along with most of the big players), are 1st class. I only post this in hopes that I prevent someone from going through my frustration.

Began to back rivet my tail cone j-channels the other day and was really having fits with getting a well driven shop head. It was seriously slow going as each rivet was done methodically in an attempt to get a square shop head. It was almost as if getting a square shop head was a totally random event. This pic is indicative of the results. Frustrating...

DSC_2822.jpg

After a bit of searching, I came across this thread posted last year by Mike Lauritsen:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=101692&highlight=back+rivet

Sure enough, upon closer inspection, you can see a small nub in the center of the set. More critically, the set is slightly concave - not flat - with the center being slightly lower than the outer surface. Fairly tough to see in the pic:

DSC_2824.jpg

A quick order to ACS yesterday had this on my porch this evening - definitely flat:

DSC_2825.jpg

After a few practice sets, I did this row in quite a hurry to increase the odds of not being perfectly square:

DSC_2823.jpg

Much, much easier to get a square shop head! Yes, technique and skill still have a huge role, but if something just seems a bit off-kilter, don't discount an equipment issue.

Lookin good Jon. I ordered one of these sets from Cleveland yesterday. I will definitely try and remember to inspect it prior to use.

The nub

How much slop is there between the plastic sleeve and rivet set? I suspect you might have a set with too much clearance and this may be the cause of your inconsistent shop heads.

I think I was the customer that notified them of the nub. It left a very noticeable impression on the shop head. I also noticed quite a bit bit of clearance between the plastic sleeve and the rivet set. This allowed some movement between the plastic sleeve and the set, making it difficult to keep the set square with the work. I talked to Mike about this and he replaced my set with a well fitting sleeve.

The larger diameter sets with the larger, tight fitting sleeve provide excellent results when your work allows the use of the larger sleeve. The larger sleeve makes it easier to maintain the set square to the work.

Not much slop noticed, Robert. I received my replacement today - no nub and a flatter set. I will definitely use the set with the thicker collar when able.

Back