What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Canopy Cutting with Rockwell Sonicrafter Oscillating Multi Tool

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
Well, it was finally hot enough and I was ready enough to make the big cut today:

After talking to many people, including my uncle (who taught plastics for years in school) I decided that the Vans abrasive disc wasn't for me. I did try it on a couple of practice cuts (as well as the smaller dremel tool version). It worked fine, but made a lot of dust and there was a fair amount of melting. I noticed that most industrial people are cutting plexi with a saw.

I decided to try one of the new oscillating tools. I saw the Fein version (very expensive) and the Harbor Freight version ($40). Lowes aircraft supply had both the Dremel Multi-Max ($99 without the round HSS cutting blade) and the Rockwell Sonicrafter ($119 with the round blade). The Rockwell was 2.3A and was made of metal (more on this later). It is noticably more solid than the Dremel, and was a bit heavier. It also came with a carry bag and more accessories. Here is a pic showing the blade I used:

As you can see, I used the semi-circular HSS saw that came with the tool. If you aren't familiar with this tool, it moves the blade back and forth, but only 3 degrees at 20,000 times per second. You can't actually see it move and you can touch the blade when it is on without getting cut. The blade is quite thin, and the kerf is like 1/32".

The tool allows you to make plunge cuts if you want, or you can just cut a groove partially thru the plastic. I found it best to make 2 or 3 passes making a groove, before plunging through the groove and completing the cut. There is almost no dust. The material that does come out is essentially tiny pieces of melted plastic, and it does not come out at high velocity like you get with the abrasive disc. The tool is extremely controllable and easy to use.

You can see how I completed the "big cut" in this picture. The canopy had duct tape straps on the bottom to keep it from spreading and the whole thing was taped to the shipping crate.

(PS - Ignore my grumpy face... it was hot in the garage!)

The whole process took like 20 minutes or less, generated very little dust, and made a clean edge. I put some 60 grit sandpaper on my little black and decker palm sander and cleaned up the edges. I will go back with finer grits soon, when I complete the trims on the other 3 sides.

All in all, the big cut was a non-event with the Sonicrafter:

The only down side that I found was that the aluminum gear box at the end of the tool gets quite hot. There are air vents up there where hot air blows out of. Of course the shop was warm to start with, but it became hard to hold the end of the tool. I was able to comfortably use the tool anyway, while avoiding the hot end. It cooled down quickly when I turned it off.

Can you tell me where you bought this tool?

I was actually looking at the Sonicrafter ($117) on Amazon for some home projects: here

Also, the whole assortment of different kits available on Amazon: here

Sounds like it works well on airplanes too. Thanks!

I've used the cheapo HF vibrating cutter...

I've used the cheapo Harbor Freight similar cutter for aluminum, steel bolts, some fiberglass and plastic (wing tips, lens covers, etc). Just like you noted for the canopy, the oscillating cutters produce far less dust. And I think it cuts faster than a rotating abrasive disk whether Dremel or an air tool. I may be cutting the canopy this summer and fully intend to try the oscillating cutter.

I did my canopy 10-12 years ago and have been waiting to see if someone would try one of the oscillating tools in this application. It seems like a perfect fit.

For what it is worth, I have one of the Harbor Freight units which has done a great job whenever I've used it around the house. I'm sure the Fein, Dremel, Craftsman, and other comparable tools are better than the one from HF, but I think the HF unit is a really good value and would get the job done.

Dremel version

For what it's worth, for those of you concerned about the durability of the Dremel version, I used mind for a tiling project that had it running continuously for extended periods of time; and it worked great.

No worries . . .

Just cause you bought it for this project doesn't mean you don't own it for life. The extra $$ amortized over 10 years of there when you need it is . . . zip. Build on.

I killed 2 demel-brand rotary tools cleaning up my canopy cut. Finally I got out the belt sander and the 5" right angle bosch grinder. Bothe worked really well with a metal belt, zero build up, good removal, not a lot of heat, but enough to make slivers not dust. The Bosch used a metal cleanup flat flap wheel, that made some dust, lol, but a lot easier to handle.

For the cut itself, it was 90F outside, I ran the vans disc in an air die grinder, and the tape contained the dust nicely. I ran two pcs of electrical tape separated by 1/32" and cut between them. Multiple passes, but well braced. It's going in the frame for the last time next weekend, I think.

Rick 90432

now I'm feeling bad over spending the $120 for the Rockwell tool when the HF would have probably worked..... :(

Think how sad if you had purchased a FEIN :eek:

The Rockwell is a quality tool. I purchased mine when they first came out. Then
craftsman and HF and others came on the market. Remember, this whole thing started with a cast cutter...... big $$$$$$. You did good.

The Harbor Freight one is NOISY!!

After over 5 years of riveting, drilling, running the air compressor, cranking the music, and the occasional loud swear word, I've only had a neighbor come over and complain about noise ONCE and that was when I broke out the HF cutter for sanding my cowl. That mother is LOUD! I use ear protection when I fire it up. Are the more expensive ones loud as well?

I wouldn't characterize the Rockwell tool as noisy. It is about as loud as an older shop-vac. It isn't obnoxiously loud like an oilless compressor. I wear shooting muffs when I use it for long periods (which I do for all power tools) mainly so I can concentrate. Certainly not loud enough to cause neighbor complaints, although that may depend on the nature of the neighbor in question :p

. Are the more expensive ones loud as well?

I have the Fein version, and find it extremely loud, although very high quality.

the blade "rings" as it oscillates and I wear ear and eye protection when using it.

It is, however, a joy to use. It can make a lot of trim carpentry jobs quick and simple that would take forever with other tools.

I don't recall my Fein Multi tool being loud but I used the abrasive disc in a Harbor Freight High Speed angle drill to cut my canopy because it went faster. The grinder spun too fast and the Fein tool was very slow compared.
The Fein or any brand multi tool is a wonderful tool if you do any wood working as in house trim.
The drill is the middle tool in the picture.
canopytools1.jpg

Last edited:
I also just recently started cutting my canopy with the HF el cheapo oscillating saw. Loved it! It partially cuts and melts at the same time, easy to control, far less dust than a cutoff wheel.
For heat, the metal part of the housing does get hot like the others mentioned, but not enough to burn. Use a work glove if needed, just don't cover the air vents.
As for noise, as a physician I have used various cast saws, and all are equally loud. They are close to the limit where I want to wear ear protection, but less noisy than a universal motor screaming shop vac, and maybe less than an oiless compressor.
Do love the product, and frankly it seems to cut as well as the pricey medical cast saws. The latter likely last longer, but for this application I see no reason to pay more.

Great news, Carl ...

....I thought you'd be pleased with the HF oscillating cutter. It sure made the plexi cutting of my canopy fab a piece o' cake.

Back