What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Canopy Cracker

cfiidon

Well Known Member
I purchased a short handled ball peen hammer at Harbor Freight and Aircraft Builder Supply. I used a grinder and file to make a point on the ball end.

Two spring clips hold it in place enough I think to withstand significant G forces. I don't wish to test this part. The spring clips are strong and their orthogonal placement should secure it under extreme loads.

The location is not permanent. I put it here as I could use existing holes until my interior is complete. It is in easy reach. I have seen some ideas using quick release pins, but I imagined getting to it easily with an injured arm.

It also provides for an off-site maintenance tool. Sure beats a rock!

Don

I would not recommend

I would not recommend the mounting method shown. The hammer will become a missile in any significant impact...I know this from experience. Everything needs to be securely tied down in the cockpit or it will become airborne in a crash. This little device should be carried in the pocket of a flight vest with a zipper holding it shut. If your not wearing it, it's not going to be where you think it is.

Before.jpg

Here are a couple other options for canopy breakers: Safety items

These are intended to be be placed in a latched glove box, mounted with pip pins, or other secure mounting technique.

I do agree with the previous post that mentioned the importance of securing heavy, dense items like these.

crack.... & snap device needed

...just referencing a recent quote of a fellow who had to get out...he said the canopy was already broken, but he needed a tool to grip and snap the edge of the hole to enlarge it for egress. It's very sharp, and flexes just when you wish it would just snap!
Looks like almost any tool could have a 1/4" slot cut into the butt so that it would also have this capability.
..nothing like a pirep; I take them very seriously!

Here are a couple other options for canopy breakers: Safety items

These are intended to be be placed in a latched glove box, mounted with pip pins, or other secure mounting technique.

I do agree with the previous post that mentioned the importance of securing heavy, dense items like these.

Vince
Of the 2 types you sell (blade style, and chisel style), what are the pros and cons of each one?
Second, do you provide detailed mounting instructions, or mounting hardware?

John
PS I absolutely applaud you for having a USPS shipping option for overseas sales. The other shipping companies may offer tracking, but at an eyewatering cost.

Last edited:
Back