What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Baggage Tie Downs

cfiidon

Well Known Member
I purchased picture hangars at Ace Aircraft Hardware and cut down the long section to fit. They are rated at 50 lbs each. There are ten clips total on the bottom and sides. I think it will provide lots of versatility for securing stuff in the aft baggage area in the RV-8.

The cargo net is for motorcycles and I found it at Harbor Freight Aircraft Accessories.

Don

That's a nice solution. I really like motorcycle cargo nets.

As a side note, I'd like to suggest to VAFers that you stay away from 'Free' image hosting sites like imageshack. When I clicked on that image to view it, I also got a pop-up window, a new browser window (that I closed down before whatever content could load), and a video advertisement obscuring part of the image with audio in rapid Spanish. Ordinarily, none of that would have affected me but I'm teaching web programming this semester and have features of my browser turned on that normally wouldn't be. But I also know that some of our less-sophisticated readers don't know how to protect themselves from intrusive web content.

I either host my own pictures (hosting doesn't cost that much these days) or use the ones that show up in my KitLogPro online site. No extra content, ever. Sorry if that seems like a rant, but it's a pet peeve with me.

things I worry about #473

those look like a decent flat solution, nice find.
If I had anything to add, I find that after I have one layer of stuff in the baggage area ( the things that stay in the plane) then it's really a pain to climb in there to secure the SECOND layer of stuff...and dig down to the hooks to re-attach the net.
I'm trying to find a good lplace to add anchors halfway up, or maybe even at the top, like some of those retractable automotive cargo nets/covers!

another armchair engineering point, if you have a 10 lb. toolbag, and are in a mild 10g crash impact....it becomes a 100 lb. projectile, trying to remove your head!
...so we should be thinking about that when we fabricate these anchors.

Perry,

You are absolutely right. These anchors are for the light, soft stuff. I've been working on a tool box idea that uses a rigid low profile container with quarter turn butterfly fasteners to a rigid substructure. One step at a time.

After Phase One I also plan to use the rear seat passenger to slow the flying projectiles :D

Don

Tiedowns

I can't tell if the anchors are strong enough but I would recommend using something like a caribiner rather than the hooks show, they will straighten right out...

Back