What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Aluminum empennage fairing

kjlpdx

Well Known Member

years ago I got tired of messing with that fiberglass fairing that never fit correctly anyway. this fairing has 1000+ hrs on it, lightweight bondo and rivets, weighs 34oz painted and a bit of my vinyl graphics on it. thought I'd share this in that I've never seen another like it. put I layer of tape on the inside so it doesn't wear the paint off the V-stab. had it only stopped my spar from cracking......****.

tumblr_mbg7m1L2GN1rafrbuo1_500.jpg

That is some really nice sheet metal work. Wow!

I'm in!
At first I thought it was going to be a complex piece of work from a single piece of aluminum.
Done on an English Wheel or a Plannishing Hammer, Shot bag & solder bar, whatever.
Instead, you show us something that can actually be done with the skills we have learned while building. Too Cool. :cool:
AND, for anyone out there who HAS done something like this with the afore mentioned skills; Show us that too! Also, tell us something about it.

All the way down to the holes drilled at the radius of the cutouts for the rivet tabs, which most people forget. Nice work!

wow!

Nearly 15 years ago an extremely talented metal worker in our area was building an RV-6A. Below are photos of the metal work that was going into what was to be a totally aluminum RV-6A:

barn-4.jpg

barn-5.jpg

barn-6.jpg

barn-7.jpg

barn-10.jpg

Alas, the project was abandoned but not before a complete buck had been built for the metal cowl. It would have been one of the most impressive RVs ever. All the metalwork was welded and hand-formed with no seams, filler or fasteners.....and flawless....

Last edited:
Congratulations, Sam, for having those photos and thanks for sharing them with us. I thought seriously about buying that RV when Wendell, the first builder, had it for sale. The aluminum work by both the first and second owners was quite impressive. Do you know where it is now? PM me if you'd rather.

years ago I remember a guy that worked at Columbia helicopter was building a rv-3 from plans. he thought the factory parts were **** and was making his own rib molds and such. never saw nor heard from him. life is too short. greg Halverson built a 6A cowl from AL, piecing together parts formed on an English wheel. he ended up having cracks and fatigue problems. the cowl was very light. I believe he did use a fiberglass nose bowl for the intakes.
AL wheel pants would be nice. mine have the most problems of any parts on the plane.

Back