What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Timing for ordering engine?

I suspect there are different opinions. But...

I'd say get the finishing kit first - two reasons: the engine won't sit around as long and you can delay the engine payment as long as possible.

Sure - you won't be able to wrap up the cowl stuff without the engine, but there is a lot of time to spend on the canopy and wiring before you need the engine in place.

You still need to know what engine you will be using before placing the finish kit order.

If money is an issue, then I guess getting the finishing kit first would help.
But a brand new engine stored properly and kept lubed and dry will probably not have any problem at all even for years.

I've heard too many reports of people taking properly stored engines out of mothballs, pulling the jugs, and finding that it looks like new with no corrosion whatsoever.

With that said, the bigger question is whether to get the finish kit first or all the radios because for most models, you have to install the aluminum panel on the fuse in order to install the windscreen.

So to give a totally opinionated opinion which needs to be followed by nobody, I would get all the radio trays and wiring harnesses, compass, chronometer, etc., and build the instrument panel to the point to where all you have to do to finish up is to slide in the radios themselves.

Then you're ready for the engine so you can hook up all the wiring for it and the controls still with a lot of room to work behind the instrument panel.
At that point, you're ready for the canopy installation and cowl at the same time so there might be an argument for getting the finish kit, engine, and prop at the same time.

With my radio installation trays and harnesses on the way, the finish kit here, and the engine to be shipped in about a month or so, that's my plan anyway.

Get the finishing kit first but decide on an engine before you order. For reasons that are totally inexplicable, btw, several parts that logically should be in the fuselage kit, are in the finishing kit. While these can be ordered separately, you still have to get to the part where you search your garage looking for those brake lines....or that rib behind the panel etc.

Bob Collins said:
Get the finishing kit first but decide on an engine before you order. For reasons that are totally inexplicable, btw, several parts that logically should be in the fuselage kit, are in the finishing kit. While these can be ordered separately, you still have to get to the part where you search your garage looking for those brake lines....or that rib behind the panel etc.
Or the gascolator bracket that should be drilled and riveted in place before installing the rudder peddles!

chicken or the egg

Get the finish kit first. Unless you live in Arizona, you are going to have to either fill the engine up with oil (messy) or refog the cylinders occasionally (hassle).Then place your engine order within six months or so of final inspect. definitely decide which engine first though.

Allen
BPE, Inc.

N941WR said:
Or the gascolator bracket that should be drilled and riveted in place before installing the rudder peddles!

btw - this bracket comes in the firewall forward kit, so you should get that before you can rivet on the forward top skin. If it were me, I'd wait on the engine but have the firewall forward kit shipped with the finish kit.

I ordered my engine before I had finidhed the tail or ordered the wing kit. I did this because at the time the Australian dollar was at a 5 year high. SInce then it has dropped quite a bit so I have saved several thousand dollars. This is probably not a consideration for you though. If I were you I would order the engine as the fuse was about 50% done.

Finish kit or engine

One thing you may wish to consider in the build sequence is a technique a friend of mine uses. A few months before he needs it the engine is ordered & when it is delivered he hangs it on a engine stand with a piece of 3/4 ply simulating the firewall. With the engine hung like this the engine monunts get time to compress so that when you hang the engine it doesn't sag. He found on his first build that he spent lots of time aligning the engine & cowl only to have it sag in the first few months, a real pita. This way any sagging is done on the stand & when you hang the engine on ht emount it is where it's going to stay.,

Stephen
N570Z
Fuse

Back