What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time to hang engine and avionics

Phil

Well Known Member
Regarding the 'kid on the way' developments in this thread...

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47188

I'm thinking I'm going to try a slightly different route. My QB fuse arrives in 2 weeks and at that point, I'll be able to get started again.

I think I am going to dedicate the next 7-8 month in a very aggressive build mode by going ahead and ordering the finishing kit and QB wing kit too. My dad lives less than a mile away and won't mind giving me a hand. I've got another buddy building a -10 down the street. My wife offered to help and I've got a few more friends that are willing to chip in too.

I think I might order in all the goods and get right down to it.

Here are my questions.

1) Assuming we've already made the firewall penetrations, how long does it take to hang the engine and prop? Then fit the cowling?

2) I'm planning on ordering a panel from Stein, how long does it take to install a professionally built panel?

3) What about interior work? How long does that take?

I think if we get really aggressive on the airframe and finishing kit over the coming months, we can get the plane fairly close minus the Engine, Avionics, and Interior. I'm just trying to get an estimation of eactly how close we'll really be time wise. I know the money answer. :eek::eek:

Thanks,
Phil

there is an rv10 panel for sale last time i looked in the classifieds. Have you seen that one?

Hang in there Phil

Preping the IO540 engine took 4 of us one hour and another hour to hang it on the mount but that does not include all of the lines, cables, and engine monitor stuff. Engine mount and nose gear I did solo in 10 hours. Oil cooler and firewall forward kit took me all total around 30 hours.

Its difficult to estimate the quick build wings I completed over several months off and on but a rough estimate is about 100 hours including the trutrak servo, fuel senders, AOA, controls skins and wiring. I have not yet installed the wing tips and lights am estimating another 10 hours.

Myself and a helper completed the cabin top, forward tailcone top skin, and installed the doors in 3 weeks (not including the windshield and windows yet).

I have a total of 14 months since I began building the tail cone using the quick build wings and fuselage. someone else completed the empenage previous to that. The plane is now on the gear with rough wiring routed, panel is cut and ready, avionics on order and engine mounted.

I averaged 4 hours a day, 5 days a week to this point (thats a guesstimate). unfinished items now are cabin trasnparencies, engine and baffles, cowling, wiring, instruments, interior and seats, lights, installing wings and tail. I estimate we will be ready to fly by January. wooo haaaa :D

Phil,
I have over 2000 hours and 3 & 1/2 years in my RV-10 and it's not even on the gear yet. I ordered my panel at Sun 'n fun along with the engine. Haven't seen hide 'nor hair of them yet.
If you've built airplanes before, you might be able to go fast, but if you are new to it, you are in for a big surprise. The fiberglass work will take a huge amount of time.
John

Time

Phil,

After building two RV's and helping with many more I can tell you that the most important thing to do to build fast is order everything as soon as possible.

The notion of ordering the finish kit last is a very slow way to build the airplane. You will want the engine on and all of the airframe wiring complete even before you start on the fiberglass cabin top. The panel installation can wait till near the end however the planning needs to be done early. Sensors, antennas, autopilot, lighting and other similar decisions need to be made early and incorporated into the build early.

Starting and stopping waiting on parts is a big schedule impact. Planning the actual build flow and making sure all parts are on site when needed makes it go fast and will keep you motivated.

Pat Stewart
RV8
RV8A
RV10
J3Cub

You Can Do It!

Phil, I think your approach makes all kinds of sense. If you have an experienced builder around you can make a lot of progress quickly. Having another 10 nearby will be a help as well because you can go look at it with any questions you may have. I think it is very possible that you can knock it out in 7-8 months, your main challenge will be to have the parts and tools lined up that you need as well as the know-how on "What to do next". Get your crew going on time consuming tasks while you think ahead and make decisions. Hiring some builder assistance might be good too, an experienced builder to come out for a week or two here and there can really speed up your progress.

Regarding the 'kid on the way' developments in this thread...

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47188

I'm thinking I'm going to try a slightly different route. My QB fuse arrives in 2 weeks and at that point, I'll be able to get started again.

I think I am going to dedicate the next 7-8 month in a very aggressive build mode by going ahead and ordering the finishing kit and QB wing kit too. My dad lives less than a mile away and won't mind giving me a hand. I've got another buddy building a -10 down the street. My wife offered to help and I've got a few more friends that are willing to chip in too.

I think I might order in all the goods and get right down to it.

Here are my questions.

1) Assuming we've already made the firewall penetrations, how long does it take to hang the engine and prop? Then fit the cowling?
Hanging the engine and prop is half a day at most. For me the cowling on my 6 took a week.
2) I'm planning on ordering a panel from Stein, how long does it take to install a professionally built panel?
Fifteen minutes? Seriously, you have the wiring done, just bolt in the panel, and hook up the connectors. Okay, an hour. :)
3) What about interior work? How long does that take?
Can't answer this one.
I think if we get really aggressive on the airframe and finishing kit over the coming months, we can get the plane fairly close minus the Engine, Avionics, and Interior. I'm just trying to get an estimation of eactly how close we'll really be time wise. I know the money answer. :eek::eek:

Thanks,
Phil

If you want to save time, maybe Stein could make you a set of harnesses for your wings and fuselage as well? The apparent progress slows down when the airframe is done. You work and work and it looks the same. That said, I spent more time figuring things out than actually doing them, so if you think ahead and have it worked out you can save a ton of time. I would put some extra wires into every wire run so you have some built in flexibility.

Hans

save time

2 things I know for sure will save you time is organize all your parts and supplies in a way that you can easily see the part numbers, bag numbers, and the contents. organize your tools so you can keep them in a useful order where they are both visible and sequential in they way in which you will use them. otherwise you will spend endless hours searching in a drawer or cabinet for screws, bolts, rivets and drill bits. I use empty plastic water bottles to store rivets, screws, anchor nuts and anything that will fit. wide mouth bottles are best. label them with large easy to read masking tape labels that wont peel off and store them in your empty cardboard boxes where they are easy to reach. you can take the bottle to your work bench with 4 or 5 different kinds of rivets or anchor nuts or screws and quickly pour out what you need with out spilling them all over the floor. Keep your dimple dies and counter sinks on a plug in board right out front on your bench cause you will be endlessly changing them in your squeezer and drills. For sure keep all your silver and brown clecos and more than one set of pliers in large plastic buckets that are easily mobile thats all I know. :eek:

Last edited:
Back