What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

time for re-cert of pitot/static/xpndr.....opinions?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
I'm due for the biennial? 2 year thing. the shop that did it last time, now says he doesn't like crawling under the dash.
funny, if I remove the transponder (again, just had it serviced) encoder and altimeter, and he bench tests them, then I re-install....his charge is still the same!
He then does a leak-test apparently.

Now, to me, this falls under the..."ain't it kinda crazy to remove a perfectly functioning, non-leaking system, and start pulling wires and cranking on goofy plastic fittings while upside down in a confined space. Twice."

should I just go looking for another tech, or is there any rationale to his madness?

Look for someone else.
Why is he crawling under the dash anyway? Looking for leaks? If you pull the stuff out and reassemble then there is an even greater chance he'll be in there anyway.
Besides, you want the whole system - including transponder coax and antenna - checked out.

For IFR checks I always pull the altimeter, encoder and xpdr out of the aircraft, bench test them, re-install and complete the tests just like your shop does. The altimeter has to be tested independently from the other instruments so the static lines must be disconnected. I also have to adjust the encoder to match the altimeter, impossible to do in the aircraft. I also need model and serial numbers off allt these units, ususally can't get them without removal.

I do cut folks a break though if they R&R their own equipment.

Last edited:
If you are only in need of a VFR certification, nothing needs to be removed from the airplane.
The only check required is a power up of the system, check the transmit freq. and power output of the xponder, and confirm its encoded altitude is with tolerance to what the altimeter reads at ground elevation and that the squawk code is correct.

Removal of and testing of individual components is only required for an IFR certification. If that is what you need, then that should be expected.

Kamloops?

Perry, I was talking to the folks in Kamloops the other day with respect to the two year cert on my Decathlon - they want to pull the equipment there as well and this is a VFR only airplane. However I mentioned the cert for my Rocket and the fact it has an EFIS and they agreed they would do that one in the plane. You might want to give them a call http://www.icsavionics.ca/

Transponder Test Rqrmts

14 CFR Part 43, Appendix F to Part 43 - ATC Transponder Tests and Inspections

CFR
Updates
prev | next
View PDF at GPO Pt. 43, App. F
Appendix F to Part 43—ATC Transponder Tests and Inspections
The ATC transponder tests required by § 91.413 of this chapter may be conducted using a bench check or portable test equipment and must meet the requirements prescribed in paragraphs (a) through (j) of this appendix. If portable test equipment with appropriate coupling to the aircraft antenna system is used, operate the test equipment for ATCRBS transponders at a nominal rate of 235 interrogations per second to avoid possible ATCRBS interference. Operate the test equipment at a nominal rate of 50 Mode S interrogations per second for Mode S. An additional 3 dB loss is allowed to compensate for antenna coupling errors during receiver sensitivity measurements conducted in accordance with paragraph (c)(1) when using portable test equipment.
(a) Radio Reply Frequency:
(1) For all classes of ATCRBS transponders, interrogate the transponder and verify that the reply frequency is 1090 ±3 Megahertz (MHz).
(2) For classes 1B, 2B, and 3B Mode S transponders, interrogate the transponder and verify that the reply frequency is 1090 ±3 MHz.
(3) For classes 1B, 2B, and 3B Mode S transponders that incorporate the optional 1090 ±1 MHz reply frequency, interrogate the transponder and verify that the reply frequency is correct.
(4) For classes 1A, 2A, 3A, and 4 Mode S transponders, interrogate the transponder and verify that the reply frequency is 1090 ±1 MHz.
(b) Suppression: When Classes 1B and 2B ATCRBS Transponders, or Classes 1B, 2B, and 3B Mode S transponders are interrogated Mode 3/A at an interrogation rate between 230 and 1,000 interrogations per second; or when Classes 1A and 2A ATCRBS Transponders, or Classes 1B, 2A, 3A, and 4 Mode S transponders are interrogated at a rate between 230 and 1,200 Mode 3/A interrogations per second:
(1) Verify that the transponder does not respond to more than 1 percent of ATCRBS interrogations when the amplitude of P2 pulse is equal to the P1 pulse.
(2) Verify that the transponder replies to at least 90 percent of ATCRBS interrogations when the amplitude of the P2 pulse is 9 dB less than the P1 pulse. If the test is conducted with a radiated test signal, the interrogation rate shall be 235 ±5 interrogations per second unless a higher rate has been approved for the test equipment used at that location.
(c) Receiver Sensitivity:
(1) Verify that for any class of ATCRBS Transponder, the receiver minimum triggering level (MTL) of the system is −73 ±4 dbm, or that for any class of Mode S transponder the receiver MTL for Mode S format (P6 type) interrogations is −74 ±3 dbm by use of a test set either:
(i) Connected to the antenna end of the transmission line;
(ii) Connected to the antenna terminal of the transponder with a correction for transmission line loss; or
(iii) Utilized radiated signal.
(2) Verify that the difference in Mode 3/A and Mode C receiver sensitivity does not exceed 1 db for either any class of ATCRBS transponder or any class of Mode S transponder.
(d) Radio Frequency (RF) Peak Output Power:
(1) Verify that the transponder RF output power is within specifications for the class of transponder. Use the same conditions as described in (c)(1)(i), (ii), and (iii) above.
(i) For Class 1A and 2A ATCRBS transponders, verify that the minimum RF peak output power is at least 21.0 dbw (125 watts).
(ii) For Class 1B and 2B ATCRBS Transponders, verify that the minimum RF peak output power is at least 18.5 dbw (70 watts).
(iii) For Class 1A, 2A, 3A, and 4 and those Class 1B, 2B, and 3B Mode S transponders that include the optional high RF peak output power, verify that the minimum RF peak output power is at least 21.0 dbw (125 watts).
(iv) For Classes 1B, 2B, and 3B Mode S transponders, verify that the minimum RF peak output power is at least 18.5 dbw (70 watts).
(v) For any class of ATCRBS or any class of Mode S transponders, verify that the maximum RF peak output power does not exceed 27.0 dbw (500 watts).
No Mode C check for VFR required but transponder check is often done on the bench

Back