What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

time for each kit?

dbhill916

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi folks,

i'm done with the empennage and waiting for my wings kit to arrive (no expected due date on the spars :( ) and was wondering if there was a better way to guestimate when to order kits so I don't end up sitting idle again. I'd like to tap the collective experience regarding time to complete each kit, relative to the empennage. In other words, if it takes a new builder "x" units of time to do the empennage, how units of "x" would you guess it takes to do the wings, fuselage, finish, avionics and engine kits?

thanks for your input,
-dbh

Here's a couple of builder's hours that I collected from somewhere, which may be useful.

Emp 118 137
Wings 248 175
Fuse 345 285
Finish 301 290
Avionics 31 45
Engine 92 191

Total 1135 1123

It's taking me longer than that, so I'm either doing an absolutely outstanding job, or I'm just plain slow.
I'm being positive and assuming the former. :)

I just ordered them all at once. Not only did I save a lot on shipping, I did not have to find another occupation to keep busy between arrivals.

The wings shouldn't take long, I'd go ahead and order the fuse kit. Sometimes things can go back ordered or get backed up.

I agree setting idle can be harmful. After nothing to do for weeks, I just go in the wings, fuse and finish. I plan on ordering the engine and avionics as soon as the fuse is finished.

If you don't want a delay...do it today!

Bob

I bought all the airframe kits at once. It allowed me to resequence the fuselage work to better suit working alone (made handling the assemblies easier). I was one of the last D180 versions, so I ordered the engine and avionics later, but still earlier than needed to avoid any potential issues of being caught between avionics changes.

I built my 12 in 11 months 805 hours

my build time

Emp 91
Wings 108
Fuse 251
Finish 201
Avionics 74
Engine 80

Total 805

Bottom line they build quick and order as soon as you can. :)

Last edited:
Back