What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time for a new rudder skin?

msturgis

Well Known Member
Well I knew there was a good reason I was nervous about drilling the trailing edge on my rudder.

I used a piece of aluminum angle clamped to my workbench, then drilled/clecoed the trailing edge to the angle. I starting drilling at an angle using a cardbord square for the first couple of holes. Then using the cleco next to the hole to be drilled to set the angle.

Once I was done everything looked great......... Until I flipped the rudder over. I noticed about half of the holes in the skin were oval shaped. It seems I used to much of an angle and enlarged them.

I plan on calling Van's tomorrow, but i'm guessing I need to order a whole new skin.. Any one ever had this problem, and if so were you able to salvage it?

Well I knew there was a good reason I was nervous about drilling the trailing edge on my rudder.

I used a piece of aluminum angle clamped to my workbench, then drilled/clecoed the trailing edge to the angle. I starting drilling at an angle using a cardbord square for the first couple of holes. Then using the cleco next to the hole to be drilled to set the angle.

Once I was done everything looked great......... Until I flipped the rudder over. I noticed about half of the holes in the skin were oval shaped. It seems I used to much of an angle and enlarged them.

I plan on calling Van's tomorrow, but i'm guessing I need to order a whole new skin.. Any one ever had this problem, and if so were you able to salvage it?

Matt,
Can you post a photo? Then maybe we can see how bad it really is.
My bet is you can salvage this little setback;)

Mark

Hi Mark.

Here are the best photos that my camera could turn out.

Picture008.jpg

Picture002.jpg

planning on proseal?

Some folks use proseal the aft edge of the rudder, which I guess makes for a nice introduction to the magic goo. Not sure if you we're planning on doing that, but between proseal and the rivet, I'd say the aft edge of the rudder is not coming apart.

Doesn't look too bad.

Matt,
I think by the time you dimple these and get the skins glued to the apex wedge you will be fine. If you use proseal to glue the wedge to the skins I know you will be fine. I see Don Hall had posted while I was typing this answer. I agree with him that proseal will be good here.

You might need to use a slightly longer rivet than called out to fill in the extra space. That double flush riveting is sort of an art anyway.

Do what makes you feel good, and check with Van's if you want to.

Mark

Last edited:
Some folks use proseal the aft edge of the rudder, which I guess makes for a nice introduction to the magic goo. Not sure if you we're planning on doing that, but between proseal and the rivet, I'd say the aft edge of the rudder is not coming apart.

Yeah, Proseal is definitely in the plans for my rudder....

Matt,
I think by the time you dimple these and get the skins glued to the apex wedge you will be fine. If you use proseal to glue the wedge to the skins I know you will be fine.

You might need to use a slightly longer rivet than called out to fill in the extra space. That double flush riveting is sort of an art anyway.

Do what makes you feel good, and check with Van's if you want to.

Mark
\

Thanks Mark. Do you think it would be a good idea to place the Man. Head on this side?

Matt, I'd be surprised if Van's would recommend a new skin. Your call of course, but I suspect they will say 'build on'. Proseal on that edge is a good idea, also.

As Jay Pratt often says, "We're just going to Denver, not Mars."

An alternative is to drill them larger and use 'oops' rivets (same head, larger diameter). No worries...

b,
dr

Matt, I'd be surprised if Van's would recommend a new skin. Your call of course, but I suspect they will say 'build on'. Proseal on that edge is a good idea, also.

As Jay Pratt often says, "We're just going to Denver, not Mars."

An alternative is to drill them larger and use 'oops' rivets (same head, larger diameter). No worries...

b,
dr

Thanks Doug! And thanks for your wonderful site I went from that sinking feeling, to relief in just a few hours. I'm sure people have recouped the cost of donating to your site many times over from not ordering uneeded parts!

Back