What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tight tank skins

CaptPausert

I started on my fuel tanks for my RV-9 today. I am really struggling to get the ribs clecoed into the skins. basically the skins appear to have a tighter bend at the nose than the ribs do and it makes it really hard to line it up. I ended up bending a couple of clecos trying to do it. Is there any advice for this? I have them in the cradles but there is a gap on either side of the nose of the skin.

Thanks

IMG_0751.jpg;)

Tank skins are extremely tight on the 9, if I remember correctly I had to start at the leading edge and work aft on both top and bottom, one hole at a time. Used a couple 3/32 pin punches to pull each rib and skin hole into alignment then clecoed

Tank skins

View attachment 50603;)

Tank skins are extremely tight on the 9, if I remember correctly I had to start at the leading edge and work aft on both top and bottom, one hole at a time. Used a couple 3/32 pin punches to pull each rib and skin hole into alignment then clecoed

Not just the 9. Mine (7) were scarry tight too. That technique works. Once they are on, walk away for 24 hours. Every time after is no problem

I think I remember sitting on the tank skins & using ratchet straps to pull them on at some point. I also tried some draw cleco's to try to hold them in place while I put in the other clecos.

Back