What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle quadrant

Coling955

I've got a beautiful throttle quadrant to put in my 7 instead of push pulls. As I'm just about to start on the panel I need to think about how to fit the quadrant. I wondered if those with quadrants would mind posting a few photos of their installation (preferably during build) or better still, drawings. Many thanks.

I used square tube from ACS. It is very light and stong. Tied it into the bottom of the panel and back subpanel. Nice and sturdy.

Fuselage%201237.jpg

Here's my left side throttle quad. Mine is tilted and tucked in tight to maximize knee room. I also have my manual trim under the quadrant.
RV-7build497.jpg

RV-7build600.jpg

Be aware of the cable attachment angle. I originally mounted the quad, then had to redo it due to binding of the cable attach. FYI- the quadrant and custom cables added 40hrs+ and several hundred $'s to the build.

Matt,

You wrote:

Update: For those who've emailed asking about cable lengths, the final sizes I picked were 48", 51", and 52.5". Obviously these lengths are only applicable to my particular airplane, but if you are using a DJM quadrant with an IO-360-M1B and Bendix/Silverhawk injection these will be a good place to start.

That's *exactly* what I have, mounted virtually identically to your mounting scheme...sooo....did those lengths work out for you in the long run? If so, that's what I'll order (and I was already planning on drilling new holes here and there to get the correct throw on everything).

TIA!

Steve

That's *exactly* what I have, mounted virtually identically to your mounting scheme...sooo....did those lengths work out for you in the long run?

Still working the last time I looked! :) If you haven't done it already, you are going to have a ton of fun getting the forward end of the throttle arm at the fuel servo working properly without hitting anything.

cheers,
mcb

Still working the last time I looked! :) If you haven't done it already, you are going to have a ton of fun getting the forward end of the throttle arm at the fuel servo working properly without hitting anything.

cheers,
mcb

Hey, Matt

Did you just use the hole locations on the firewall per the plans? Or did you have to move them any at all?

Steve

Matt,

You wrote:

Update: For those who've emailed asking about cable lengths, the final sizes I picked were 48", 51", and 52.5". Obviously these lengths are only applicable to my particular airplane, but if you are using a DJM quadrant with an IO-360-M1B and Bendix/Silverhawk injection these will be a good place to start.

That's *exactly* what I have, mounted virtually identically to your mounting scheme...sooo....did those lengths work out for you in the long run? If so, that's what I'll order (and I was already planning on drilling new holes here and there to get the correct throw on everything).

TIA!

Steve

Hey, Matt...quick question for you. I don't have the prop governor yet, and I haven't re-installed my throttle quadrant, but was installing the eyeballs this weekend, and starting to install the cables. You mentioned on your website that the throttle is the 48" cable. Are the other two prop - 51" and mixture - 52.5"? Or vice-versa?

Just trying to avoid having to take all the **** off and do it over again once I get the prop governor, etc. :)

ETA: Do you happen to recall the part number of the clevis pins you modified for the quadrant? I see it's an AN481, just wondering which of the 4 that ACS sells you used...

TIA!

Steve

Last edited:
Just a question: Has anyone mounted their quadrant between the seats, and/or in front of the spar? It seems to me that you could better anchor it down there, and it wouldn't look like a strange growth on the bottom of the panel. Just curious if anyone has done this.

I'd like a quadrant, and would like to get the controls off the panel and down where they're more comfortable... Formation with knobs up on the panel gets tiring in the arm. But rather than put it on the left side of the cockpit, I want it where the right seat can get at it too. Between the seats seems to be the only remaining option, and in front of the spar seems to be the only place where the reach is right.

Not the clearest pic, but...

331a.jpg

Here's a picture of my throttle quadrant mounted on a center console. I can rest my elbow/arm on the rear of the console, and the quadrant is just above knee level for comfort.

Hey, Matt...quick question for you. I don't have the prop governor yet, and I haven't re-installed my throttle quadrant, but was installing the eyeballs this weekend, and starting to install the cables. You mentioned on your website that the throttle is the 48" cable. Are the other two prop - 51" and mixture - 52.5"? Or vice-versa?

Just trying to avoid having to take all the **** off and do it over again once I get the prop governor, etc. :)

ETA: Do you happen to recall the part number of the clevis pins you modified for the quadrant? I see it's an AN481, just wondering which of the 4 that ACS sells you used...

I think I probably used the longer cable for the mixture control, seeing as how the mixture arm is located farther forward on the engine. However, you will probably end up removing and reinstalling the cables multiple times in order to get the fit just right, so you'll have plenty of chances to confirm this.

Aircraft Spruce used to sell special AN481 clevis forks that were threaded for a 10-32 shaft, instead of the usual 1/4-28 cables they're usually sold for. That's what I used, however I don't see it in their catalog anymore. Maybe worth a call to their customer service line to confirm before ordering. (and let me know what you find in case I ever need to buy a replacement...)

Note: All the above is from memory, and therefore likely to be wrong! :)

mcb

Here's a different approach

Not an RV-7, but you might consider leaving your mixture and prop controls on the vernier push-pull cables and just put your throttle on a quadrant. I like the fine adjustment the vernier gives me and this solves the problems encountered when you have one friction control on a quadrant with three levers. As cables age, they get tighter and they never seem to get tighter at the same rate so when the friction is right for one it's not right for the other two. :mad:

paneltilt2.jpg

I think I probably used the longer cable for the mixture control, seeing as how the mixture arm is located farther forward on the engine. However, you will probably end up removing and reinstalling the cables multiple times in order to get the fit just right, so you'll have plenty of chances to confirm this.

Aircraft Spruce used to sell special AN481 clevis forks that were threaded for a 10-32 shaft, instead of the usual 1/4-28 cables they're usually sold for. That's what I used, however I don't see it in their catalog anymore. Maybe worth a call to their customer service line to confirm before ordering. (and let me know what you find in case I ever need to buy a replacement...)

Note: All the above is from memory, and therefore likely to be wrong! :)

mcb

The forks are

05-01437 SPECIAL AN486 W/ 10-32 THREAD

and your instructions on squeezing them and sanding/grinding down slightly the one for the prop fork (to use the shorter clevis pin) works beautifully! Thanks!

Steve

Back