What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle, Prop, Mixture Cable length on Aerosport and AFP Induction

Phil

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to order some custom length cables from McFarlane and want to double check my cable lengths.

For those of you using the Aerosport panel and also the Airflow Performance induction system, what cable lengths did you end up using?

The controls are Vernier.

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited:
I was with you right up to vernier. I have a throttle quadrant. I've heard Geoff mention to add about 3" for his panel, but I don't know enough about the differences between the AFP and Silverhawk throttle bodies to comment.

McFarlane has some very specific measurement requests in order to build a cable. I don't have any of Vans stock cables to take measurements from, so I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place right now.

Haven't figured out how to move forward yet. :confused:

Phil

You just need to play detective! :D

From the "list" on vansaircraft.com

CT BLUE VPROP 72.5 10 (I(O)-540)FWD GOV $83.50
CT BLK THROTTLE 47.5 10 (I(O)-540) $62.50
CT RED VMIXTURE 51.5 10 (I(O)-540) $78.00

But remember, the standard Van's FI is a Bendix, so your mileage may vary with the AFP.

I used a piece of "weed whacker" line to estimate the lengths when I made my measurements. Because of the 90 degree bend and using an AFP FI, mine weren't in any standard location either.

bob

I'll shoot you an e-mail with the details they need. I thought they were length driven too, but there's actually quite a bit more than I realized.

Phil

Extra long cable

Phil,
Consider a standard length cable that's a bit longer than needed.
Your custom length cables will be double in price.
I have the same set up as yours and opted for longer cables
one size above custom length, this allows for more installation
options away from exhaust heat.
Only the throttle cable needed a bit of a gentle S turn
to accommodate the extra length. Custom length cable will cost
you about $160 each and no one has them on the shelf
if you ever need one in a hurry. I'm away from home but will give you the dimensions when I get back.

I spoke with Don from AFP earlier today and he suggested 3" of travel on the controls to operate the Throttle, Mixture, and Purge Valve on the AFP kit.

Just FYI
Phil

Back