What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

throttle/choke cables

dick seiders

Well Known Member
I guess I'm missing the obvious, but can't figure out how to get the cables thru the hole in the 1202-1 panel mount. I tried taking them apart and they look like they are not to be dis-assembled. Now I don't want to do anything to them that will come back to haunt me during takeoff one day so what is the deal here? The revised dwg by the way shows the cables w/o the large red/brass cylinder assembly (that are part of mine) as part of the cable system, although they were portrayed with the said cylinder assmblies on the original dwg. Has the cable design changed? Has anyone had to deal with this, and if so, would appreciate feedback. Thanks.

Dick (only about three weeks away from inspection and want to keep on trucking.)

Engine control cables

If you have the older cables that were shipped in the fall of 2009 then you have to take the Throttle cable apart to install it. But you cannot take the choke cable apart. You have to make the choke hole big enough to slide the whole assembly through, cable end first(the end that hooks to the Carb). As you slide the cable end through the hole then put on the Nut. Now there is a Washer that came on the cable that looks like a U. Take that washer and slide it into place between the Panel and the nut on the back side and tighten Nut. Don't make the hole to so big that the T handle will go through to. New Cables are smaller in size. Thats the way I did it Per Vans tech Support. J

If you have the older cables that were shipped in the fall of 2009 then you have to take the Throttle cable apart to install it.

This is not correct and is not what the construction manual directed builders to do (ones that received the earlier style throttle and choke cables).

Call Van's for a copy of the earlier release construction manual section

Vans Support

All I can say is that IS exactly what they told me to do when I called. I'm not home now so I can't look at my throttle to refresh my memory on how it comes apart. Seems to me I held the shaft secure and unscrewed the knob and slid the shaft out with the friction loose, give them a call and see what they say. J

The pages Scott is talking about for the early ones tells you to enlarge both the throttle hole and the choke hole. You don't need to take anything apart. You tighten them up with a nut and all is good.

throttle/choke cvables

Problem solved. My fault as I had latest drawings so was too dumb to use old ones that had been revised. For those who may run into same problem the panel hole enlargement is the answer.
Still believe that when these types of changes happen a simple note on new drawings could clarify issues such as this and save many calls, valuable time for several folks, as well as a small amount of frustration, but maybe that's just me.
Thanks to those who helped me thru this.
Dick (close, 2-3 weeks should see another 12 flying)

Totally agree - an observation

Since the Engineers at Van's make the changes, why do they make it so hard to 'find' the changes? If a really small change is made, it is even harder to 'find'. In my opinion, there is no reason not to highlight or underline or bold print the changes. One or all of these methods are commonly used in engineering and shop work.

The changes should be make so that they will stand out somehow - don't care how they do that but. please Vans, consider doing it - it would save us a lot of time out here where we construct the kits.

Two other observations - I have found that changes are made and sometimes, the page number is not updated. I am saving all of the 'old pages' just in case I need them later.

Back