What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle cable routing ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
:confused:
I need suggestions from experienced RV3 builders regarding throttle cable routing. The problem I have is the quadrant is on the left fuse wall and the throttle plate arm is on the right of the carb. The RV3 mount is soooo close to the firewall that turning the corner to the throttle arm is VERY tight !!! Any suggestions ??

Cowl Cheek Extensions

This may or may not apply, but I used the cowl cheek extensions on my -4 as a way to get more room to start the bends of the throttle, prop & mixture control cables. Thats's what the "boys" in Bakersfield were recommending at the time (1985) - I flew it for 15 years and it always did (still does) work fine.

I haven't gotten to that point on my -3 project, but when I do I'll probably consider the same, or similar, layout for control cable routing.

David Howe

I like Dave's solution, but we were able to keep the cables inside the fuselage (very close to the left side of the firewall, then loop them generously to where they needed to go. We used the thinner ACS cables that are a bit more flexible than Van's - I like them a lot, and the operation is very smooth.

Thanks for your input

Thanks guys ! I will investigate these options. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks for validating the ACS cable option Paul. The robust Van's cable is problematic for termination mounting and length, particularly on the quadrant/bulkhead end. Your bulkhead brackets are really nice, but the Van's cable will require a fairly large component to accommodate the threaded body quite far from the bulkhead. No response expected, maybe this detail can help someone else...Larry

Back