What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle Cable Replacement

Geico266

Well Known Member
Over the past few months I noticed the throttle getting "stiffer". I decided to investigate and ended up removing the throttle cable. It was unbelievebly stiff, could barely move it by hand. I tried forcing LPS2 with no help.

The RV-10 was finished in 2006, 450 hours.

I ordered another one from Vans, no problem. Anyone else have the throttle cable become stiff? Any insite as to why this one failed?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Last edited:
Heat Could be the Reason

I remember reading back several years ago where the internal plastic lining in some coax cables was affected by local heat sources (e.g. exhaust pipe) and caused the center steel cable to stick. Heat shielding and/or different cables would take care of that. But I don't remember if those cables were from Van's or not.

On a similar vein, some of the cables that you could get from Van's for this purpose had stickers on them that said "Not for use on aircraft". Those were the green cables that were made to connect to a throttle quadrant (no knobs, only fittings). Not sure if Van's has since found a different source, or if that was just something the cable manufacturer's lawyer had them put on there. BTW, the ones I've gotten in the last year from Van's with knobs made onto one end had no such sticker and are clearly made for aircraft.

These are green, and the new ones are listed as black, could be the problem. Thanks.

Better off just to replace it. Getting close to annual time so i might as well get a good start on it.

I use firesleeve on my control cables FWF, helps to keep them from getting cooked from the radiant heat of the exhaust pipes.

Vans cables

I just received my firewall fwd from Van's and the cables are green and say not for aviation use.

I just received my firewall fwd from Van's and the cables are green and say not for aviation use.

I just purchased cables from push-pull.com. They don't sell for aircraft use, but if you talk to Frank, he will sell to you. They are a Cablecraft reseller. You will also have the same labeling as the ones from Van's.

For the RV-10 with a throttle quadrant, these are the part numbers per Dave Saylor.

176-VTT-2-51
176-VTT-2-47
176-VTT-2-72

The green cables are rated for 230 degrees, whereas the 176 black cables are rated for 280 degrees per Frank. I just received mine, but haven't installed them yet. The set including shipping was under $200.

I just replaced mine in the RV-10 at 250 hours due to increasing stiffness and used the black cables as per Bob's note above. I also added some firesleeve where it looked like there might be a heat issue.

Vic

I just replaced mine in the RV-10 at 250 hours due to increasing stiffness and used the black cables as per Bob's note above. I also added some firesleeve where it looked like there might be a heat issue.

Vic

Thanks Vic, I was beginning to think I was the only one with the issue. I will order fire sleeve also.

I just purchased cables from push-pull.com. They don't sell for aircraft use, but if you talk to Frank, he will sell to you. They are a Cablecraft reseller. You will also have the same labeling as the ones from Van's.

For the RV-10 with a throttle quadrant, these are the part numbers per Dave Saylor.

176-VTT-2-51
176-VTT-2-47
176-VTT-2-72

The green cables are rated for 230 degrees, whereas the 176 black cables are rated for 280 degrees per Frank. I just received mine, but haven't installed them yet. The set including shipping was under $200.

Bob, are you replacing your cables?

Bob, are you replacing your cables?

Nope...... Installing them for the first time.

I have a non-standard fuel injector installation which required different length cables than are provided in the fwf kit. It also gave me the opportunity to upgrade to the more heat resistant version.

bob

Last edited:
I have a question to all.

Fire sleeve is for protecting from flame. A heat shield reflects radiant heat and helps protect from heat damage.

The question is should we use a heat shield on the cables instead of a fire sleeve? :confused:

I have a question to all.

Fire sleeve is for protecting from flame. A heat shield reflects radiant heat and helps protect from heat damage.

The question is should we use a heat shield on the cables instead of a fire sleeve? :confused:

I suspect since both provide insulation via different methods, they both will help reduce temperature. The question is which one provides better heat reduction?

Good question.....

I suspect since both provide insulation via different methods, they both will help reduce temperature. The question is which one provides better heat reduction?

Good question.....

Well, after thinking about it I would think the problem from heat come after engine shut down. If that is in deed the case either one would help. Which one is better? I would guess the heat shield wins.

Not sure where your cables are in relation to anything but the radiant heat from the exhaust can be extremely high. Consider that at normal cruise/climb power your pipes are red hot (whatever your EGT is) :eek:

Deg F
752 Red heat, visible in the dark
885 Red heat, visible in the twilight
975 Red heat, visible in the daylight
1077 Red heat, visible in the sunlight
1292 Dark red
1472 Dull cherry-red
1652 Cherry-red

Not sure where your cables are in relation to anything but the radiant heat from the exhaust can be extremely high. Consider that at normal cruise/climb power your pipes are red hot (whatever your EGT is) :eek:

Deg F
752 Red heat, visible in the dark
885 Red heat, visible in the twilight
975 Red heat, visible in the daylight
1077 Red heat, visible in the sunlight
1292 Dark red
1472 Dull cherry-red
1652 Cherry-red
What would you guess would work better? Heat shield or fire sleeve?

What would you guess would work better? Heat shield or fire sleeve?

I use both, I wrapped the firesleeve with aluminum tape for things that are in the vicinity of exhaust components. You can see my fuel line wrapped prior to the FF transmitter in this pic. My preference is for the firesleeve, it blocks the radiant heat and insulates the line/cable.

IMG_6226.jpg

Back