What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle Cable Life Span

Vlad

Well Known Member
What's the life span of a throttle cable? Sometimes I feel like it's moving with an effort when engine is cold. After warming up the throttle cable is operating rather smoothly. It could become quite stiff before start when winter temps are in low teens. Even after motor is preheated. When did you replace yours?

Mine only lasted 500 hours. I have 1160 hours on my bird and I've replaced the cables twice. I know you have way more hours than that. I decided to go with McFarlane cables this last time. Hopefully I'll get more mileage out of them as they were 3x the cost!

Mine only lasted 500 hours. I have 1160 hours on my bird and I've replaced the cables twice. I know you have way more hours than that. I decided to go with McFarlane cables this last time. Hopefully I'll get more mileage out of them as they were 3x the cost!

Jerry would you go with the vernier style for the throttle?

After 3,000 hours, only Prop RPM cable has been replaced.

I hated the vernier throttle cable on the Mooney that I few for my commercial license. Too difficult to do a go around and clumsy doing a takeoff.

After 3,000 hours, only Prop RPM cable has been replaced.

I hated the vernier throttle cable on the Mooney that I few for my commercial license. Too difficult to do a go around and clumsy doing a takeoff.

Gary did you service the cables if there is such a thing? I confess I haven't asked uncle Google yet.

I liked my vernier McFarlane on my Rotax 912S. It took a little getting used to but once locked it, my RPM's were consistent and no creap. On our lycomings, I don't think the creap plays as much factor. With the hours you have Vlad, it probably would play to try a new one. ;)

Prop cable gave up (started working hard) around 900 hrs. Both mixture and throttle work like new but plastic cover is looking pretty bad.

Jerry would you go with the vernier style for the throttle?

McFarlane now has a vernier that works like a push-pull cable OR a vernier. No button. Basically, pushing or pulling overpowers the vernier, but you can screw it in and out for vernier function. I played with one at Oshkosh (at their booth) a couple of years ago, and liked it - but haven't flown with one.

I'd love to hear of folks that are flying with it.

seems to be no trend on how long they last. mine went over 4,000 and started acting like yours. dumped the vernier and don't miss it a bit.

welcome home. you may need more storage space on photobucket now.:eek:

will be passing thru your area on saturday mid morning to go to family reunion in the chopper. just past morgantown pa.

Vlad,
A vernier wouldn't work for me. I'm constantly moving the throttle during formation flying, plus I have the DJM 3-lever throttle quadrant.

Gary did you service the cables if there is such a thing? I confess I haven't asked uncle Google yet.

Never did any service on the cables. Cables I have are (I think) teflon lined or at least have some sort of liner inside the housing that made them move smoothly.

McFarlane Vernier Throttle is a nice Upgrade

McFarlane now has a vernier that works like a push-pull cable OR a vernier. No button. Basically, pushing or pulling overpowers the vernier, but you can screw it in and out for vernier function. I played with one at Oshkosh (at their booth) a couple of years ago, and liked it - but haven't flown with one.

I'd love to hear of folks that are flying with it.

I replaced both original cables on my RV-9A at about 750 hours this year with McFarlane cables, and I selected the vernier throttle. This is an upgrade over the kit supplied cables and it is butter smooth. I never need to adjust the tension anymore, it is set it and forget it. The vernier throttle is very nice to use, and you can always push or pull just like the old cable. They use superior materials and construction, and these cables should last the life of the engine in my opinion, at least.

There's another recent thread on this topic that might be of interest.

I replaced the governor cable at around 500 hours and the throttle is now getting stiff a 1000 hours.

Back