What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

throttle body installation

bweiss

Well Known Member
I am installing the throttle body for a precision fuel injection (vertical induction) on an RV7A and I several questions based upon the following observations.
A The bracket appears to only hold the throttle cable and the cable is about 3.5 inches too short
B. The mixture cable also appears short and does not have anyplace to hold it secure

Is there a special bracket that I have to install as opposed to the standard Carb version supplied by Van. I was under the impression that the carb bracket fit the vertical induction FI system?

Where is the recommended firewall pass through for the mixture control?

Did anyone else have to lengthen both the throttle and mixture cables?

throttle body

Are you using the VA 182 PC bracket from Vans? I just ordered one for the precision injection servo on my 8A with Superior IO-360. You can search the archives here for the bracket number and find some information about it.

It is my understanding that the VA 182 PC bracket repositions the cables from the carb position to the fuel injector position on vertical induction engines.

I was also told by Vans that the same length cables were used for both the carb and vertical induction fuel injection arrangements. In my case they specified the cable length at 60 in. I am almost sure it is different for the side by side models.

Hope this helps.

This is a messy area in my mind. I have a 7A with the Silverhawk FI. I used VA182-PC bracket but had to "extend" it with a SS bracket bolted to it for both the throttle and mixture controll. I suspect this problem can be exascerbated depending on exactly where the cables come through the firewall, but in my case both the distance and angle had to be changed.

I had to use RV-7 IO 360 CT Red and Blk for cables, they are 50.5 inches long.

As for where to pass thru, you will just have to play with that. Mine are not at the best place, but got them to work. Clearly the Van's suggested place did not work for me. I'm not sure but I think Vans IO drawing is for the 200 hp engine, at least mine which are a couple of years old seem to be.

Wish I had pictures with me but am 1500 mi from home, sorry.

Larry

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Back