What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Three Wiring Harness Questions

N223JH

Well Known Member
1. Reed Switches: I like to test continuity and function whenever possible when installing electrics. I cannot get either one to register a completed circuit (continuity) when the magnet-loaded pins are swung into position. What am I doing wrong?

2. Grommet Overload: There is no way the static line is going to pass through the grommet in bulkhead #3. I have only the plans-directed wires there. What's the fix?

3. Aft 9-pin D-sub Connector: Plans show this mounted up on the bulkhead just aft of baggage bulkhead. There is no receptacle. Is this connector just tie-wrapped in position? This seems questionable given stabilator cables back there.

I've read through this section of the plans but it wouldn't be the first time some obvious solution eluded me. Directions to chapter & verse in the plans or successful-builder fixes will be much appreciated. TIA Jim

1. Reed Switches: I like to test continuity and function whenever possible when installing electrics. I cannot get either one to register a completed circuit (continuity) when the magnet-loaded pins are swung into position. What am I doing wrong?

2. Grommet Overload: There is no way the static line is going to pass through the grommet in bulkhead #3. I have only the plans-directed wires there. What's the fix?

3. Aft 9-pin D-sub Connector: Plans show this mounted up on the bulkhead just aft of baggage bulkhead. There is no receptacle. Is this connector just tie-wrapped in position? This seems questionable given stabilator cables back there.

I've read through this section of the plans but it wouldn't be the first time some obvious solution eluded me. Directions to chapter & verse in the plans or successful-builder fixes will be much appreciated. TIA Jim

1. Many folks have had problems with the reed switches. Instead of trying to list all of the solutions many have tried, "Search this forum" (the RV-12 forum) with the word "reed" and you will find a number of posts with solutions implemented.

2. Had no problems getting all to fit thru the grommets though some were a bit difficult to get all the wires and static tube through them. On one or two, I slit the grommet, wrapped it around the bundle and then slid the grommet into position.

3. The DB-9 connector aft of the baggage compartment will be connected to the remote magnetometer which is mounted on that 1st rib aft of the baggage compartment at the top of the tailcone. The magnetometer comes with the avioincs kit.

Hope that helps.:D

Thank you gentlemen. That's what I like about this forum: ask a question, get knowlegeable responses within an hour! J

I highly recommend buying a "Wire Spoon", as seen on this link:

http://www.steinair.com/tools.htm

Push it through the grommet or adel clamp and it forms a channel to push wires through. If you search this forum for "broken terminal pin" you will see why this tool is a good $10 investment. (It could save you ~$50 for new tiny pins and a special crimping tool, like the hamfisted guy building #177 had to buy)

Back