What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Three Bladed Catto on a 7A

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,

I'm considering a prop for my 7A. When it comes to three bladed props, are there any issues in removing the lower cowling? A friend who has a 6A with a three bladed Catto prop says that he has to flex his lower cowling pretty hard to clear the prop and remove it.

info

I have a 3 blade catto on 9a, same set up.
You do make the slot on bottom of cowl longer for a three blade. It is a few more minutes work getting bottom off but no big deal. Once you have don't it a few time its easy and fast. Do wrap a rag around prop blade that is close and wrap with painters tape to hold on, first time while you learn the procedure.
You will love the catto and you will love the three blade. :D

Cato 3 blade on 7a

Ben,

We have a 7a with a Cato. Have had no problems getting lower cowling on/off. I admit we use two people. Not sure how hard it would be if you were doing it by yourself. We wrap a towel around the front fork so that as we slide the cowling down the leg, it does not bump on the wheel pant. They are great props.

cheers

Geoff

When my RV7 was an A, I would put some blue painters tape on the the nose gear fearing to prevent scratches. Otherwise, with a little maneuvering, I was able to get the cowling off without any issues.
Much easier now with the nose wheel gone :)

Last edited:
Back