What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Three blade props

truflite

Well Known Member
Trying to get a feel for what is available. Outside of Catto props, are there any three blade prop manufacturers out there. I found one other one and cannot remember the name. I do know his price was three times the cost of a two blade prop. Looking at wood, metal or composite.

Thanks,

Dave Nellis

Props

Dave,

MT has 3 bladed props, both hydraulic and electrically actuated. They are composite over wood cores, with metal LE's.

My RV8 has a 3 blade Hartzell with 200 horse Lyc. It is smooth, fairly fast at 180 knots at 8000' and climbs like crazy.

I like it, I flew a RV6 before buying the 8 and the 6 was lighter in pitch but the 8 flies fine.

Steve
Ks.

Whirlwind also makes a great looking (and pricey) 3 blade composite prop with metal LE's . Do some research on the different prop blades, though. Many people could tell you more about it than I could.

Whirlwind Not as pricey as you would think

If you consider that with a Whirlwind 151 you also get the complete spinner fitted and ready to paint and if weight savings has any value to you at all then the price is not that out of line with other CS props.

Back