What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Threaded Drill Bit Required for RV-7 Project

rjtjrt

Well Known Member
Can anyone educate me as to which threaded drill bits for use in an 90 degree angle air drill I should buy for a forthcoming RV 7 kit build?
I see Avery have a kit which contains a selection of #40, #30, #27, #21, and 1/4" drills, with a variety of stubby, short and long lengths.
I have a chance to buy some ex Boeing re-sharpened surplus threaded drill bits - which sizes and lenths and numbers of each would you suggest? As I live a long way from tool supply companies and shipping is an issue would like to stock up on an entire builds requirements on one order.
John

Send me you address and I'll send you a couple each. I got them surplus and they are all new. I have Thousands and Thousands. I live in Connecticut.

Chuck

Get more than you think you need

I used way more bits than I thought I would. Personally, I would get a dozen #30 and #40 regular length. A half dozen long bits of #30 and #40, you can just cut the long ones to size if need be, or the short ones too for that matter. I would get a couple each of the remaining sizes. I am building an 8 so it looks like the drill sizes are a little different depending on model.

Randy

don't worry about it now...

there is not much need for an angle drill until you get well into the fuselage... you will likely end up using #40, 30, 19, 12, 1/4.

Last edited:
I think Randy is thinking of normal bits; a dozen each is way overkill for angle drill bits. As for length, you can't cut them down. I recommend a couple in each length and the sizes in the Avery kit will probably be useful. As mentioned, the fuselage is the most usual place to need the angle drill but there are other places it would be handy (or at least handier than using a long bit flexed).

Buy a cup full from Flea Bay and you will have a good selection of all sizes.

They are usually military surplus or from Lockheed, etc.

MSC Direct

John..after reading your recommendation about http://www.mscdirect.com
I opened an account and ordered a nice selection of angle drills. However at 'checkout' I noticed they added in California sales tax, even though they are in Nevada (?). I hate that. (smile)..but good tip..they have everything I needed.

Back