What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thread locking Plate nuts

Simon Hitchen

Well Known Member
Any point in thread locking plate nut bolts. Of course I understand the very function of the plate nuts slightly compressed threads are to prevent loosening but....

Do you mean applying Loc-Tite? No need. In fact, Van recommends running a tap through some nutplates (floorboards, along the cabin sidewall) because it is awkward to get a screwdriver in there and the screws turn with difficulty. I did it and concur with Van.

try Boelube

Agree, no need.

I use the tip from Dan and use Boelube to put the screw in for the first time. Makes it go a lot easier, especially in thin pieces or fiberglass.

I bought a few stainless socket headed screws of the various sizes of nutplates. I boelube the screws up and run them through the nutplates before I install them (same time I'm dimpling the ears). Haven't had any problems installing the final screws.

Any lube on the screw threads will greatly assist putting the screws in for the first time. Without it you will ruin many screws trying. If you tap them out they no longer will act as lock nuts.

Back