What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thoughts on the various tool kits

Paris

I'm New Here
I've yet to get started so I'm really just vaguely familiar with the various tools and their advantages/disadvantages. I will be building a 14 and I haven't decided between the standard or quickbuild yet.

Comparing the Avery and Isham toolkits (which are priced about the same), it appears to me that the Isham kit is a much better value given the better dimpler and the pneumatic squeezer, but I thought I'd solicit some opinions to see if I'm missing anything. A buddy of mine has the Avery toolkit, so I've had a chance to at least see those in action.

http://store-planetools.com/airventurefullrvtoolkit-includesdrdt-2andpneumaticsqueezer-318918value.aspx

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KIT-106

If you are any good with a speadsheet program such as Excel, you can compare the two kits by listing the tools by vendor. One vendor per column.
It will allow you to cancel all the commonalities and really look at the differences.

There are other vendors too, such as Brown and Cleveland

In addition. Vans had at one time a required tool list on his website. That can be added as well for reference.

After identifyiing the differences, search here on VAF regarding some of the tool set differences such as the DRDT2 and the pneumatic squeezer and make up you own mind on the cost/benefit ratio based on the comments here.

I did the above and then bought all my tools off ebay at a considerable savings (and obtained many tools I wold not have purchased)

Last edited:
I was disappointed with the quality of some of the tools in the Isham kit. The fluting tools wore out halfway through the airplane and had insufficient mechanical advantage to use without hurting your hands... Some tools I didn't use once. The drill was extremely difficult to trigger to turn slowly. I ended up buying a lot more tools from other vendors. If I were to do it again I would go Cleaveland, outstanding quality...

The drill was extremely difficult to trigger to turn slowly.

If that is representative of all the air drills from this vendor, they should know better. As you say, a good trigger throttle is really important for many drilling operations. I have an ancient ARO drill and a new "non-brand" POS. The new one had zero control. I used the POS for match drilling punched holes (because the trigger was more ergonomic for 100s of holes) but the ARO for everything else.

I went Cleaveland Tool and besides going with a Vans RV, it's the second best decision I've made so far. :D

http://www.cleavelandtool.com

Also, I've had Cleaveland Tool answer the phone on the weekend and help me with a quick question.....plus they design some of their own tools, which benefits every builder by setting the bar for quality tooling.

Last edited:
I would skip the squeezer and buy a Numatx 3060. It can be used as a handle held squeezer/dimpler and it can be attached to the c-frame to rivet and dimple. It was a bit pricey--about $800 not including the c-frame. I figure I can get a good bit of my money back out of this when I decide to sell.

http://www.numatx-tools.com. Watch the video.

I had my father-in-law build the c-frame:

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w663/Kenneth_Stockman/Photo3-1_zpsfc9df0a2.jpg (I can post more pictures if needed.)

So far it kicks @ss. I have not used the c-frame, but the skin dimpling is coming soon. I have a 4" yoke. I clamped it to the bench and dimpled all the ribs (actually my wife did). Just push the pedal. The thing is light weight.

anyway, I have no association with Numatx. I just really like the product (so far). The only thing that I did not get was the swivel, but I should have.

If you go this way, then I would have the vendors price out the kits without the C-frame and squeezer. Most vendors will.

Also, I have heard that the dimple dies from Cleveland are the best. I bought them from Cleaveland, so I have no idea if others are better. I also bought the die kit and the fuel tank and substructure dimple dies, which were not included in the die set.

Cheers
Ken

After identifyiing the differences, search here on VAF regarding some of the tool set differences such as the DRDT2 and the pneumatic squeezer and make up you own mind on the cost/benefit ratio based on the comments here.

I did the above and then bought all my tools off ebay at a considerable savings (and obtained many tools I wold not have purchased)

From what I can tell it looks as if I'll be better off right now making the major tool purchases and worry about a kit later or buy everything individually. The kits just looked attractive as all the vendors appear to give significant discounts for the kits. The problem I have is that I have no builder experience so I don't really have a good idea of which tools I'll be using most often other than the obvious things like the riveter, dimpler, and drill. I don't mind buying cheap tools for things I'm only going to use infrequently, but for the stuff I'm going to use most often I want quality stuff.

I haven't even made my RV order yet, so I have plenty of time to figure all of this out.

Back