What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thoughts on Power Panels

One of my concern about all-contained-systems is "putting all of your eggs in one basket"

This was one of primary reason for not going with VP type solution, specially that there seem not to be of a big $$$ saving. I could be very well wrong in my understanding of them, but since all electrical system, specially those that have programming in them are subject to "bug" and therefore could fail at some point.

I prefer simple switches and circuit breakers/fuses...

I have nothing against any of the power panel type products out there as I have very little experience with them, but I prefer simple switches and circuit breakers/fuses. They are fairly easy to design and install, offer absolute flexibility to individual requirements, are easier to change/upgrade later, and offer the most inexpensive and reliable alternative (IMHO).

Disclaimer: This is my opinion, based on my experience, and worth exactly what you paid for it.:rolleyes:

I have one

I have this exact power panel in my RV-6 (plane purchased used). I've since done extensive work to the avionics and even bought a newer Exp-Bus panel with remote switches that I planned to upgrade this last winter.

I ended up keeping the old power panel because, A) it works great B) I ran out of time and C) the rock-rack switches were too bulky to fit where I thought they should go. I still have the Exp-Bus II but have sold off the switches.

The only concern I have is that the horizontal panel board is exposed to stray wires or other items like washers, metal pens, etc, that could drop down through the top of the panel like a pachinko game and end up shorting out something important. My plane is circa 1997 and this has yet to happen so perhaps I'm just paranoid.

I have nothing against any of the power panel type products out there as I have very little experience with them, but I prefer simple switches and circuit breakers/fuses. They are fairly easy to design and install, offer absolute flexibility to individual requirements, are easier to change/upgrade later, and offer the most inexpensive and reliable alternative (IMHO).

Disclaimer: This is my opinion, based on my experience, and worth exactly what you paid for it.:rolleyes:

Me Too!!!!!!

Been looking at this a lot... Basically split between a complete and well engineered (with failsafes and such) system like VP or a discrete "normal" setup. A lot of the "in between" seems to be where a lot of headaches come from from what little I've seen.

Back