What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thoughts on lightning holes in VA146 bearing

skyyking56

Well Known Member
Any thoughts on putting an extra 6 holes(same size) in the VA146 center bearing flange equally spaced between the existing 6 on the same B.C.
I cannot see any problem with weakening the bearing flange(within reason) by doing this?
Has anyone done this?
It might seem anal, but a little several places is a lot.
Looking for ANY way of removing weight as I go forward.
Jim King
Just started Emp last week on RV7A

wow

that,s a tiny bit but more power to ya. the bearing is captured so i dont see how it would hurt. but 2 dimes=4 grams. good luck. weigh all your trimmings so when your finished you know what you actually saved.

Weight Reduction

An easy change is to replace the steel rear control stick with aluminum tubing. If I remember correctly, this was about a 5 oz reduction. I only changed the rear since the front is more complex and 'required' where the rear pilot will always have a pilot up front.

Using an Odyssey battery will save several pounds (Can't remember for sure, but I think 5 or 6) over a std. battery. I've a couple of friends using the Odyssey for several years and report no problems with winter starts and good battery life. This also allows modification of the battery tray to remove 2 or 3 oz.

If you don't have one, the Grove Landing gear will save 11+ (again don't remember offhand) pounds over Vans standard steel gear.

I also put a series of lightning holes in the front seat aluminum angle. I questioned Vans on this and they suggested using smaller holes in the middle where the weight is concentrated. I think this took out about 3 oz and took me 3 hours tho !?!?!

I replaced the Adel clamps holding the fuel pump (injected system) with an aluminum backet and single steel hose clamp (cut to minimum length) and saved 2 oz; but this change also made a filter removal task much easier than fighting the adel clamps in a cramped space.

I got about 2 oz by machining ot the back of the canopy latch - again 2 hrs and I've begun to question the sanity of this :) But what the heck! I've also made some optional equipment (a DVD player that will only be used by my wife on trips) removal with quarter turn fasteners.

What I found by going to this extreme is that I've become very aware of weight additions and probably saved several pounds of weight this way. Its not for everybody, but thats what expermentaion is all about.

Hope this helps.

Back