What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Those with Classic Aero Aviator Seats!

Flyguytki

Well Known Member
I am trying to determine how low to cut my control sticks but I want to make sure I get the demensions correct. What I am looking for is the bottom cushion thickness of the Classic Aero Aviator Seats, These are the seats I plan on going with so I should be able to get the sticks very very close to perfect. so

What Is the thickness of the bottom seat cushion of the Classic Aero Aviator Seats.

Thanks alot

-david

Why would you want to cut your sticks so short? The longer you can keep your sticks, the better! Long sticks give you more leverage. May not seem like a big deal now, but you really want your sticks to be as long as possible. I think Vans wrote an article about this several years ago.

My sticks are cut down just enough to clear the panel by about 2".

I agree with Scott. Don't cut your sticks short. I took off a couple of inches on my first plane and the difference was noticable when taxiing or flaring. You also may want to put a cushion or two under you main seat pad to accomodate a shorter pilot thereby changing the stick length. You still will fly with your hand in your lap and only reach up to communicate with you PTT switch.
Woodman

My sticks are the original size and were never cut. After I flew my friend's RV, I realized how much I love them as they are and if I just want to hold the lower portion on longer flights, I just grab the lower part.

I have the Classic Aero interior. Wait until you get your seats to cut the sticks. Sit in the seat and rest your forearm on your thigh with your hand on the stick. That is about where you want the grip. Give yourself at least 2" of head clearance with a headset on also. Don

Sounds good, I will cut them just enough that they will clear the panel and not cause an issue. Thanks for the help guys.

My full length sticks looked like they would
hit the panel. After mounting the elevator
and installing its down stop, no cutting was
needed. I have the vertically extended,
'Affordable', panel with only a short PTT grip.

I slid some tubular foam all the
way down the left stick so I would have a
good grip where ever I wanted it.
I really like it this way.
Tom

Back