What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thinking of selling

JCOERS

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I checking in to the board here. My father passed away last year and I really haven't felt much like working on the plane. In fact, I'm considering selling my project.

I have no idea what the pricing is on a "in-progress" kit. I have a finished tail section. 90% finished wings and about 20% done on the fuselage. Do people normally ask for what they have in the materials and tools and forget their time investment? How does this normally work?

John Coers

John,

First, sorry about your father. I had that wind taken out of my sails about ten years ago and it took a while.

I don't think there is a good answer to your question. It is hard to make much on your time unless the workmanship is really top-notch and the plane is nearly completed. I helped a buddy sell a project about a year ago and he got somewhat less than his investment (tail and wings.) I would think you are ahead by having the fuse. Also because kits have gone up in price.

It might be smart to price the tools separately. Some guys interested might be looking for a second project and already have the tools. Also, someone just starting a 7 or 8 might be interested in only the tools. I wouldn't split the kits unless you don't have any takers. It seems to be hard to sell just a tail kit.

Be sure you are really ready before you sell. You might consider getting a partner, also. All very personal decisions...

Bob Kelly

John,

Sorry to hear about your loss. That is not an easy thing to go through.

My father passed a few years before I started my kit and he knew I always wanted to build something and there were a number of times when working on the kit I could "hear" him talking to me about doing it right.

Are you sure you want to sell? Is finishing it something he would have liked to see you to do?

Thank you for the reply guys.

Yes, I've been thinking about this for the past couple of months and I finally come to a decision.

The workmanship is very good. The project has been inspected by my EAA tech counselor all along the way.

It sounds like I should price it for what I have invested - material wise. I don't mind. I really enjoyed my time on the project.

Where do you think the best place to advertise is? I'm thinking on this forum and barnstormers. Maybe the Matronics list too.

Keep it for later

John, do you need the money? Does the plane give you painful memories of working with your father? Why not preserve what you have so far (I dunno, oil it maybe?) and throw it in storage. You might want to pick it up again in a couple of years and it would be way more expensive to start again than pick up where you left off. It'll keep. My father passed about ten years ago; part of my finishing the -8 is I know he would have loved to have seen me do it and come flying with me.
Wish you luck and good life, whatever you decide...

John,

If the decision has been made, I have a suggestion. I looked up Ottenheim, KY and it must be about the size of Scipio, IN! BUT right up the road at Richmond is the first RV fly-in of the season. You might stop by there on the 23rd of this month and ask around. If the weather is good, there will be RV'ers from many states, and quite a few people either building or thinking about it. I'm sure you could have someone announce that it is for sale. That would be better than having to deal with someone in Kansas or Texas. Do bring pictures. Just a thought...

Bob Kelly

You bring up some good points to ponder. Perhaps I will wait and decide after some more time has passed. There is no rush.

John,
I lost my Dad 2 years ago. He was all the family I had. The remodel on my house came to a screeching halt and I'm only now getting back to it. A couple years before I lost him I flew in to visit in a C-172 and there were a bunch of experimentals grouped nearby. He looked at them and told me "you ought to look into those, that looks like a lot of fun." After he was gone I did, and he was right. And I think he'd be plenty pleased to know I'm living the dream and one he knew would be "a lot of fun". Thank you Pop, and **** I miss you.
Hope you finish it John.

9A

You bring up some good points to ponder. Perhaps I will wait and decide after some more time has passed. There is no rush.

John,
Bob's advice is good for multiple reasons. At Richmond on the 23rd there should be, weather permitting a lot of RV's. Bring some pics of your project for sure. 1. Being around a bunch of nice guys with great looking airplanes might be the jump start you need to get back into it. 2. You might find someone interested in buying it if No. 1 doesn't work. 3. It's generally just a good time, and how knows, you might meet some nice people that you can incorporate into your circle. I'm from Shepherdsville, KY and I'll be there-weather cooperating-look me up.
Mike H 9A/8A

John,
I really hope you hold off a bit after reading your responses (unless there is a financial need). Also, getting back into building may prove therapeutic. I lost my dad suddenly in Sept and slowed my building for a bit, but am finding a lot of enjoyment now. My dad's opinion was always important to me (had to grow up with this Pulitzer Prize winning critique writer), and he fully endorsed this project. I now keep a pic of him during a flight we did the prior year hanging in the RV shop/garage. While I really wanted him at my first flight, I do know he would have been sorely disappointed had I quit. I would feel bad if you sold and later regretted this - at least come meet some of the RV family at KY, Fun N Sun, and Osh. You have many friends here.
Carl
(I'll be at Osh lurking around, going to the Wed night BBQ, and out with the RivetBanger crowd - feel free to look me up then or call any other time 3098383655 )

selling

Dont sell it. It' cheap therepy I tell everyone. I'm sure you'll change your mind if you go to an RV fly-in and hop a ride with somebody. So sorry to hear about your father. I'm sure he would of liked to see you build and fly it... not many people world-wide have done that.
Best
Brian Wallis

the smartest advice I ever received on this board was "put the project in the corner and revisit it later." Is it costing you any money right now? If not, you've got nothing to lose.

Yes, it's a tough thing to work on a project when your head isn't it, but these things will change.

It'll get better. (That's the second best piece of advice)

Kind of in the same boat myself for a number of reasons.

My rational for not selling is... It's not costing me much to keep it... I don't think there's a time limit on when I get it built... Whatever is going on that's slowing me down will pass...

Plus there is enough motivational material provided on this site from all of these great people to show the rewards of keeping it.

Back