What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thinking of getting LS Sierra Headsets? Do yourself a favor, get the Zulu's!

Brantel

Well Known Member
My wife bought her a set of LS Sierra headsets and I have been using Zulu's for almost a year.

Today I flew a flight with the Zulu's and they were as usual, great.

Later I flew a flight with the Sierra's and was totally disappointed! I know these things are $200 cheaper than the Zulu's but for $650 these things still need to be good performers!

I actually turned them on and off a couple times in flight to make sure they were actually on (they were). They seem to have little to no low frequency noise reduction as it sounded like a bass drum beating with each engine pulse. There was noticable more high frequency noise as well. I heard lots more squeaks, rattles, wind noise, etc. than I do with the Zulu's. Even though the headband seems to clamp harder than the Zulu's, if I pressed the earcups against the side of my head, the high freq/wind noise was reduced significantly.

I have sent a note to LS support to see if this is normal or if I got a lemon. At this point I would not recommend the Sierra's due to poor performance in an RV. My experience is that the Zulu's are worth the $200 difference in price!

Follow up!

Talked to LS about not being happy with the Sierra's and they immediately offered to take them back in exchange for the Zulu's and with the normal difference in price due. Seems this is a common thing with those Sierra's!

I took them up on the offer since I could not stand the Sierra's compared to the Zulu's.

It appears that the Zulu's control box has been updated since I bought my first set last year. They have removed the Front Row Center button and the manual now states that this is on all the time. Not sure I like that but we will see how it goes. Have not flown with them yet to know if the new control box is going to be better, worse or the same in regards to performance. The original ones were perfect to me so I don't know why they messed with the design. I never used the FRC button on the original so hopefully it is not going to be something I want to turn off since they removed the button....

Thumbs up so far for LS!

While were talking LS headsets......

I have noticed that the transmit (Mic) audio from some of my friends Zulu headsets seem to not have very good low frequency audio articulation.

It sounds like they have there nose pinched while talking.

This is sortof a deal breaker for me....I really!!! like my audio to sound clear, clean, and well articulated.

I love the way the zulu feels and I have quite a few hrs flying with them in friends airplanes.

I have considered buying a set and modifying it with a better mic. Has anyone tried this or am I the only one that thinks they sound "mickey mouse" when transmitting?

The only time I get to use the Zulu....

.....is when my wife is not along for the ride!:)

That's when I have to "settle" for my Bose!:)

Best,

This is not the norm for Zulus.. Something is amis! People brag on the sound of my transmissions all the time.

I have noticed that the transmit (Mic) audio from some of my friends Zulu headsets seem to not have very good low frequency audio articulation.

It sounds like they have there nose pinched while talking.

This is sortof a deal breaker for me....I really!!! like my audio to sound clear, clean, and well articulated.

I love the way the zulu feels and I have quite a few hrs flying with them in friends airplanes.

I have considered buying a set and modifying it with a better mic. Has anyone tried this or am I the only one that thinks they sound "mickey mouse" when transmitting?

This is not the norm for Zulus.. Something is amis! People brag on the sound of my transmissions all the time.

Ditto.
Everyone always said that mine (in the Cherokee I just sold, with a little KY-97A com radio) sounded like a broadcast station.

Back