What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thinking Ahead

JohnF

Well Known Member
I keep thinking ahead about the airworthiness inspection. Right now I wondered about the aft wall closure in the baggage compartment. You cannot get all the screws in/out if the fuel tank is installed. If the DAR wants to see behind the baggage aft wall the fuel tank will have to be removed. While there isn't much back there, if there's a Dynon roll servo there, it is likely that would have to be looked at, meaning the fuel tank would have to be removed so the aft baggage wall cover could be removed.

Alone that's not big deal except if you have gas in the tank; that's probable since most of us would have run the engine and did some taxi work prior to the inspection. Draining the fuel is a real mess.

How did you folks handle this?

I asked my DAR as to his preference. He wanted to see the plane with the fuel tank installed knowing beforehand that the 2 access panels would be installed. Your DAR may want to see it differently. Ask. Other's have taken photos of the components under the two access panels for the DAR.

Hi John,

I was able to work it out with the DAR to have the aircraft open as if for an annual condition inspection, which is what he wanted. I went on to explain that this would be without the fuel tank being installed, which was OK with him. I further explained that as the tank would be out and the rear side panels and rear window was not installed that I would leave it this way until after the inspection, he agreed and all went very well. YMMV but it is worth a try. It sure made it a lot simpler.

Best regards,
Vern

Mine was Mel and he wanted to see anything affecting control surfaces (like the rudder cables) and anything involved in the fuel system when installed. I would expect most to be the same. Of course that involves the fuel tank in and the tunnel wall out. But like Marty says, just call your DAR and ask him...he'll tell you.

Like Marty said, my DAR just wanted pictures of the areas covered by panels. When he inspected the plane was completely done including the tank installed. Just call the DAR and ask him what he would like done, and offer to take pictures of areas he cannot see.

Don't sweat the inspection. If you have followed the plans the DAR may spend more time on paper work than looking at the plane......unless you hire Mel, he loves looking at RV's. ;)

Back