What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thinking about using a bulkhead fitting

instructor_bill

Well Known Member
I'm thinking about adding a bulhead fitting to the fuel line at the fuselage exit (might you call that the entrance.)

Has anybody done this? Did you use a straight or 90 bulkhead fitting?

Last edited:
Firewall? Definitely. Wing side? I don't think so. On the -6/6A, anyway, having that little extra 'give' that you'd lose with a short fitting-to-fitting connector makes a big difference in connecting the tank-to-fuselage lines.

I'm thinking about adding a bulhead fitting to the fuel line at the fuselage exit

Me too, just not quite at that step in the build process yet.

...having that little extra 'give' that you'd lose with a short fitting-to-fitting connector makes a big difference in connecting the tank-to-fuselage lines.

What if one used a flexible hose? Stainless braided for example?

Best,

-Jim

Andair firewall passthrough filter w checkvalve

Would you be interested in this? I'd like to sell it.
AndairFilter

Cut the appropriate size hole in the firewall, rivet in the passthrough. Easy disconnect with a 70 micron reusable filter. Andair designed and manufactured. (You wont find it on their website - it was fabricated for an alternative engine manufacturer, but you can ask them about part number BLF375#1) The list price was $195, I'll sell it for $95 + shipping.

As Pat said, with only approx. 6" between the fuselage and the tank this would be a bad idea, a straight line would provide no slack for the relative movement between the tank and fuselage. I suppose using a 90d fitting on both the tank and fuselage would work then you could have a loop in the line. To me this is an "improvement" looking for a problem.

there will be some sort of loop

It won't be a straight shot from the fitting to the tank anyhow. I'll be adding an andair wing root gascolator in either wing.

so there will be a small loop from the bulkhead fitting to the gascolator, and another from the gascolator to the tank. I'm aware this may add a potential source of failure, but I have a redundant system:rolleyes: with one in each wing.

if I have a failure, it most certainly won't be in both wings at the same time.

Back