What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Things to Purchase while at Van's

Leaph737

I will be going to Van's at the end of the month to pick up my Rv-7a Fuselage and Wings (quickbuild). I am looking for recommended things to purchase while I am there to save on shipping costs. I wish I had already ordered my finishing kit to pickup at the same time but that is too late now. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Aaron
Empennage completed
RV-7a

stuff to get

1) second trim tab kit
2) at least one flop tube
3) plastic flexible duct for wire runs in wings
4) optional better fuel caps
5) Pro-seal
6) 3/32 flush pop rivets
7) Opps rivets (NAS)
8) little bottle of paint that matches the powder coating color from Vans
9) Duct Works Landing Light Kit
10) have fun

not the battery, but yes on firewall flame sealant

I thought I would be clever and pick up my battery - it's heavy and shipping is complicated by hazmat stuff. So I picked up my battery when I got my finish kit.

Bad idea. I had it on a battery minder type trickle charger, and still, a year later when I got the airplane ready to go, the battery had a shorted cell.

On the other hand, Van's is not able to ship the flame sealant for the firewall. So get a tube of that. It does have a shelf-life, so plan on doing that step fairly soon (like within 6 months or so?)

you can get the fire sealant from Home depot so I wouldn't bother with that.

Good luck and have fun

Someone had also mentioned to me extra tubing? Dues to its length it costs more to ship....What would everyone think of that?

Put the firewall sealant into a freezer. This greatly extends its shelf life; I recently used some stored this way for well over a year and it worked as new.

Back