What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Things to do while deployed

RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to go on a 6 month deployment to the desert. I will have a little bit of free time over there and I am planning to design the electrical system and the panel in auto cad . Can anyone else think of other progress I can make on the project while I am away from the project?

just what i was thinking.

I spent a lot of time on both. No harm doing early. Its a lot easier to change the plan than the already run wires or cut panel holes. If you are doing your own panel wiring, lots of time needed to research hookups. As you continue your build, you will be refining your plan the whole time. Read and understand the aeroelectric connection materials.

Stay safe...

I advise shameless begging

Jeremy,
On the issue of designing your electrical system using AutoCAD, why not ask others for a copy of their AutoCAD designs. It would help if you list what components you plan to use. Never hurts to collect diagrams for other components, as you never know when you will change your mind. I can supply DWF drawings of my systems.
Charlie

PM sent

Jeremy,
On the issue of designing your electrical system using AutoCAD, why not ask others for a copy of their AutoCAD designs. It would help if you list what components you plan to use. Never hurts to collect diagrams for other components, as you never know when you will change your mind. I can supply DWF drawings of my systems.
Charlie

Charlie, PM sent, thanks!

Panel and stock vs. aftermarket?

I designed my panel....got other pilot's inputs. Put it together on epanel builder...used the CNC service when I got back. I also used the aeroelectric connection extensively...but I "overbuild" the system using the endurance bus concept. I didn't realize at the time....most of my glass would have its own back-up battery. In hind sight...I would have just used one fuse block behind the panel.

The other task you could consider is what you are going to take out of the kit (if anything)...and replace with aftermarket....Groove gear, tail wheel, etc. The forums are great for this...and you can get into the plans to figure out what to delete from your order when you return home.

Best of Luck

Paint design

Can't tell you how much time I spent on the paint design. Thousands of colors, trying to make it look fast, nose or tail art, etc.

I spent hours on Airlinersdotnet looking at what looked good and what doesn't.

Thanks for serving and take care.

copy of acadlt

I am getting ready to go on a 6 month deployment to the desert. I will have a little bit of free time over there and I am planning to design the electrical system and the panel in auto cad . Can anyone else think of other progress I can make on the project while I am away from the project?

Jeremy,
My son in law just got back. He was there for a full year. He is an AF JAG, back at Maxwell now. I wanted to make sure you had a copy of acad if you need one. I have an un-used licensed copy that I would be willing to let you use while you are deployed. Let me know if you need it. Thanks for your service.

rockwood

Jeremy,
I have been here for 8 Months now and still have another 4 to go and everything that has been mentioned is exactly what I have been doing. You have time to research just about everything. I have come up with panel designs, about 1000 paint designs, and interior colors. Bring a copy of the preview plans and manual with you, you can actually get alot done just by reading over the upcoming parts of the build so when it comes time its a non issue. I also purchased a copy of Tony Bingelis book on Firewall Forwards and Engines, they have some great information. I have been fortunate enough to be able to mail things to my parents house and I have been buying stuff up like crazy, Purchased a finishing kit which friends of mine will make sure make it safely to my hanger, started buying avionics whenever i see a good deal, and I am purchasing an engine while I am home on R&R in two weeks. If you find yourself in front of a computer most of the day like I do, read other peoples build logs, and study what they have done. There is alot you can do which hopefully will help you out as soon as you redeploy and pick up the tools again.

Shoot me a PM I'm interested to hear where you are going and Ill give you as much information as I can.

-david

Just got back

I just got back. I got a lot of research done while I was deployed. The electrical system, paint schemes and a ton of research on other builders web sites and build logs.
If you still have time make a LOT of notes of where you are right now. I have spent several days reading through my lo and just looking at the project to make sure I have not forgotten something.

I spent a lot of time on both. No harm doing early. Its a lot easier to change the plan than the already run wires or cut panel holes. If you are doing your own panel wiring, lots of time needed to research hookups. As you continue your build, you will be refining your plan the whole time. Read and understand the aeroelectric connection materials.

Stay safe...

Agreed. Spend some time working up an electrical load analysis as discussed in the AeroElectric Connection. Also, you can work on your panel layout and your paint scheme. These latter two thing are what will distinguish you plane from everyone else's , so lots of fun there.

Edit: whoops, didn't see other posts before I replied with redundant info
Erich

Last edited:
Sig you must have the same mentality as me, pretty bad when you dump all your pay into the plane and then still have to take out a loan. Good news is 95 % will be purchased and on hand when I get home.

-david

Actually it's all going to the "possible career change" fund.

How's life over there? Drove by the other day after getting lost trying to get to main BAF. I hear Aziz's is the place to eat.

BTW you'll have to come over to our BBQ tent for lunch. Call me ahead of time so the ECP guys know to let you in!

I like the sound of Possible Carrer Change, Its going, lots of activity and the snow sucks. Go Figure.

I'll Let you know, It will probably have to be after I get back from leave, Im running around like crazy, I have too many people on leave right now.

-david

Great plan

While I was deployed my wife asked how much more money would I need to finish the plane. I gave her a number and she set that as a goal for savings while I was gone. Almost have it all in the bank.

Welcome to the suck.

Bank all the pay you can in your airplane fund!

Banking Your Pay While Deployed

Jeremy,
Remember all your pay including bonuses will be tax free for every 30 day period deployed to combat areas. (The tax free rules changed this FY) Take the difference between your taxed pay plus your combat pay and automatically deposit it to a separate bank account to pay for the next structure, avionics, etc. Five + months of the extras will add up.
Cheers,
George
PS: I miss flying with you guys

Special savings acct

They still have the special savings account that pays a higher interest rate. Worth every penny invested.

Only if you don't have debt to pay off.

The SDP only allows you to max it out an $10K, and will pay you 10% after 1 year. After taxes it's only a few hundred bucks. Sure that's an alright return, unless you have debt that would be better served.

SDP

The Savings Deposit Program pays a guaranteed 10% APY, and will continue to accrue interest a full 90 days after departing the eligible (combat) zone. Assuming you are able to reach the maximum deposit in a relatively short time period, you can make nearly $1,000 dollars in interest per year. This interest is taxable; but, since you are most likely in a tax free zone the tax impact is negligible. An extra 800+ dollars a year is something! (The return is the highest guaranteed rate I've ever seen - I'd call that amazing.)

The Savings Deposit Program pays a guaranteed 10% APY, and will continue to accrue interest a full 90 days after departing the eligible (combat) zone. Assuming you are able to reach the maximum deposit in a relatively short time period, you can make nearly $1,000 dollars in interest per year. This interest is taxable; but, since you are most likely in a tax free zone the tax impact is negligible. An extra 800+ dollars a year is something! (The return is the highest guaranteed rate I've ever seen - I'd call that amazing.)

True but that's still only an 8% return. So unless you're debt free, all your debt/loans need to be at less than 8% or you're losing money.

You also have to be recieving IDP/HFP to earn the interest. It stops accruing 90 days after you depart.

Here's the link if you want to sign up for it:

http://militarypay.defense.gov/benefits/SDP.html

Last edited:
Back