What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thick door windows

Aerosport1

Well Known Member
I am in the process of installing my windows in the doors and the windows are .165 to .1875 thick and do not fit the window channel. They are almost .04 to .060 to thick. It seems that these should be the same thickness as the rear windows which were .120 to .140. Has anyone else had this issue? If I try to sand down the shelf the window sits on I will sand almost or will go through the external door skin. At this thickness
there would be no good way to blend these into the outer door skins.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Geoff
N829GW

Window thickness

Geoff,

I just installed my windows and the door windows were not only thicker and heavier than the rear windows but also about 2 pounds different in weight from left to right. You will probably have to add some filler anyway to get the doors to fit nicely with the cabin top.
I would not sand down the flange but rather add some filler.

I am in the process of installing my windows in the doors and the windows are .165 to .1875 thick and do not fit the window channel. They are almost .04 to .060 to thick. It seems that these should be the same thickness as the rear windows which were .120 to .140. Has anyone else had this issue? If I try to sand down the shelf the window sits on I will sand almost or will go through the external door skin. At this thickness
there would be no good way to blend these into the outer door skins.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Geoff
N829GW

Maybe call the company that made the kit?
Seriously...the windows are supposed to be net thickness to the door window flange depth. if I were you i would be calling the company that made the kit. I am sure you know the #;)

Windshield Thickness RV-10

Have to do minor repair to the windshield with micro mesh and buffing. Can someone that has not installed their windshield take a measurement on the thickness of their RV-10 windshield and post it here. I'm thinking .125 (1/8th in.) but I called Vans and they said .250 (1/4 in.) thick. Does not sound right to me.Thanks for the help.
Bill,
RV-10, Flying

Without checking with a mic, it sure looks like .250"

Windshield is about twice the thickness of side windows on my kit.

YMMV???

Back