What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News - 9.6.2024. #6164. TGIF!!!!!

Wishing you and yours a happy, safe and RV-filled weekend! v/r,dr

Cjmccorkle
Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 8.56.19 PM.png

kirkbauer
Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 4.30.32 PM.png

Webb
Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 8.52.00 PM.png

SkyDweller

Just to leave some final results info for the forum. Everything was wired successfully. However, when pressure is applied to the seat you can hear the fans binding or hitting material. When enough pressure is applied (just with my hand) the fans sound as though they even come to a complete stop.
I don’t like the idea of power being supplied to a fan which may be unable to spin or meeting resistance. Sounds like a good way to overheat the fan motors to me.
If you do have the ventilated seat option from Lemke, have you experienced any noise coming from these fans when sitting in the seat or applying pressure to them.
Leaning more toward just pulling the system back out altogether. Fortunately I made a mount for the fan buttons rather than drilling them into my panel.
Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 8.52.43 PM.png

-14 Rudder …bedecked
I ran into this on my -7 with IO-360-A1B6 (200HP). When you roll the rudder front edges together, the skin deforms a bit and flexes into the stiffeners just behind the spar. Deburr and rounding the forward edges of the stiffeners will eliminate the potential for cracking due to this. I also applied a little neutral cure RTV (wad of bubblegum) to the areas between the rudder spar and each stiffener.
Mad props to DanH -- I can't draw worth a darn. Here's the idea tho -- side view from the top of the rudder assembly; skin (green), spar (blue), stiffeners (orange)...
Clear as mud?
Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 8.52.57 PM.png

Jerry98b
Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 8.54.06 PM.png

Chrisw
Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 8.54.46 PM.png

Update: D120 fuel gauge erratic readings
just to close this thread, I think I found the issue. After doing some work under the cowl, I forgot to re-secure the fuel line entering the red cube. After re-securing this fuel line at the inlet side of the red cube with its adel clamp, the erratic behavior went away. I think it was vibrating without the clamp installed and producing bubbles and the erratic readings. Thats my best guess at the moment anyway. I flew after re-installing the adel clamp and the fuel flow was rock solid.
https://vansairforce.net/threads/d120-fuel-gauge-erratic-readings.229395/post-1790548

F1 Rocket
Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 8.55.57 PM.png

JDA_BTR
Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 7.49.28 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
IMG_5181.jpg

Previous Issue:

Please consider donating yearly to help keep this American 1-person pirate ship afloat:

Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

THE VAF LIST (a list of RV-related lists)

Back