What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News - 7.2.2024. #6117.

RV News That Caught My Eye Over The Last Few Hours ….dr

Is it Really Flying….petehowell
Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 2.30.17 PM.png

RE: -8 Gross Weight
When in doubt, refer to Vans Aircraft. Also the aerobatic gross weight is 1600#. You may want to get a new W&B for your aircraft since the POH numbers are strange.
Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 2.24.53 PM.png

Double Flush Rivet Updates …Scott
Since I was recently doing some work on some control surfaces with riveted trailing edges, I shot a close-up of what a shop head meeting the intended design criteria should look like.
This was with the use of a very thin coating of tank sealant on both sides of the wedge as described in the construction manuals , clecoed in every hole and allowed to cure about three days and then riveted.
The rivet length as specified in the RV-10 and 14 plans was used.

Finally got a chance to measure…
Sort of
It was difficult to measure accurately with the calipers that I have because the taper angle is rather shallow and won’t fully reach into the gap at the edge of the driven head, but I think the number should be pretty close to actual.
I measured a few and they looked to be .135” - .137”
This is slightly under the 1.5D rule of thumb of .141”, but is well over the MilSpec minimum of .122”
Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 2.26.21 PM.png

RVs in the USA Flying: Crazy Easy to See. .dr
Go to the website and put RV where I highlighted it in the grab. Toggle the ‘L’ on and tap the ‘O’ button a few times for more/less info.
Different colored planes indicates different altitudes (scale on bottom of screen). Tap on a plane for more data.
You'll figure it out.
Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 2.10.23 PM.png

-7 main gear install
Q:
OK, I’ve got the engine mount bolted on and I’m ready to insert the main landing gear. These are the round main gear, which should slide right into the engine mount sockets. However, I’m having a difficult time getting them inserted. I thought maybe I would cool the gear and some ice, but that didn’t work. I have greased the sockets and that didn’t work. Is there some simple technique that I am missing? Sorry, but I don’t have a picture handy and I’m traveling. Anyone done this recently that can give me a pointer? As far as I see, there’s no way to tap them in because the bottom of the gear leg is bent, and it will put as side loads on the engine mount.
A: This happened with me at install. Make sure that the powder coating at the top of the leg is not the interference. I had to remove about 3/8" down all around the top of my leg so it would slide into the socket.
Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 2.29.28 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
IMG_4568.JPG

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Last edited:
Back