What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News - 7.1.2024. #6116. Year half over - thanks for supporting!

A busy weekend doing part time side hustles for F,S&C (hence the late push time for Monday) - so no RV time :^(. Since the year is half over now, Thank You!!!! to those who donate to the site. Those ‘badges’ underneath a username are very much why Susie and I can eat! (not kidding). You are ABSOLUTELY appreciated. Badges visually represent a person’s financial support for this small business. The realities of trying to keep a 1-person small business afloat as your main source of income in 2024 punch me in the face continuously. Those badges are how I minimize the force of those punches, and even deflect a few. ;^)

I’ll keep trying my hardest to bring you a quality product and I hope you're enjoying it.

Fingers crossed to get off the surface in the 22 yr old -6 sometime in the next few days and hope you had a great weekend! Really like that RV!
v/r,dr

FMI on badges: https://vansairforce.net/account/upgrades

RV News That Caught My Eye Over The Last Few Hours ….dr

WDYDWYRVTW?
Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 2.10.52 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 1.50.33 PM.png

RV-10 Panel …Dad’s RV-10
I need to take some better pics but here are the before and after. My father built the plane and originally installed a Chelton EFIS and a VP-400. By the time he received an AW certificate (at 80 years old) but before ever flying the airplane, he decided he didn't want a panel with so many orphaned components. So, he tore it all apart. Unfortunately, he never got a new panel installed before he passed away three and a half years ago.
It's been a long journey but this week, I made the first flight in N420LK! It was emotional and exhilarating and it wouldn't have happened without the help of some amazing people. Thank you! (you know who you are - NR, JC, DM, among others.)
Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 1.49.57 PM.png

Cowl inlets, mistakes were made …Webb PIREP
I took a differ approach to the inlet when I remembered trying to put the lower cowl on and deal with the ramp seal. I made some rings that matched the standard shape and glassed the opening to hold the ring. I also needed a good way to connect the plenum to the inlets.
The inlet seal is on the ring. All I have to do is put the lower cowl on, drop the ring in place, set the plenum on top, and put the top cowl on.
Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 1.49.14 PM.png

Build Update …nohoflyer
I’ve moved my project to Princeton airport. It’s about 1.5 hours away. This is the facts of life when a builder lives in a huge city. Anyhow it’s a great space. Downside is that my pace of building has gone to 3/4 speed brakes.
Rear fairing has been sikaflexed on. I’ll do the finishing work while it’s on the airplane. The shape of that darned thing made it hard to work on it on a table.
Chugging along with the wheels. The RV-7 manual/plans are very poor imo. I called vans and the helped me find the plans for the 14 which are much more detailed.
Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 1.47.00 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
IMG_4569.JPG

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Last edited:
Back