What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News - 6.26.2024. #6114.

RV News That Caught My Eye Over The Last Few Hours ….dr

RV9A N442TC first flight today
Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 3.13.09 PM.png

3D Printed Oil Cooler Plenum…00Dan
Finally got around to printing a plenum and turning elbow. The PETG bell mouth has held up surprisingly well, with no signs of heat distortion despite having a Tg of only ~176*F. Granted, it’s not really under any loads beyond its own weight. I had in my mind the general shape I wanted everything to take so I took some rough dimensions and got to work on the computer. Turning vanes are integrated into the elbow, and the plenum internal vanes borrows from hgerhardt’s design. On its face it looks nicer, trading that tight radius SCAT run for a much shorter straight section. The elbow will be reprinted to line up with the baffling a bit better before I actually test it.
The parts pictured were FDM printed out of ASA, which has a Tg of 208*F; I believe this is good enough to go fly and see how it holds up, and definitely good enough for testing the design. Fastener preload at the oil cooler face will hopefully let me know if the material is holding up or if I need to make a final production run with nylon.
Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 6.54.25 AM.png

Undercut AN426 rivet?
Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 3.22.27 PM.png

KAI 11-02 (rev 1), rod end bearing adjustment questions …DonMcKee PIREP
I guess I may be over-thinking this, and suffering from a bit of analysis-paralysis when it comes to finalizing my rod end bearing adjustments. Given these constraints:
Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 3.21.48 PM.png

Update …jrskygod

For the last few days I have worked on the intake valve burning issue I previously reported. I removed the intake tube from my #4 cylinder to get easier access to the valve for lapping in place to correct the burning issue. What I found surprised me. As you can see the back side of the valve had significant buildup on it. Apparently some of carbon had broken off and was caught in the seat of the valve causing the burning issue. I cleaned the valve, lapped it and now my leak is gone. I then decided to check the remaining valves. Number 2 had similar buildup to number 4, however cylinder 1 and 3 only had minor buildup and what you would expect for a 1000 hour engine. I cleaned up all of the intakes and all is well. What I am curious about is why the carbon buildup and why there is significantly more on one side than the other.
Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 3.16.33 PM.png

Published: SB-00102 - Control Stick Pushrod Inspection (before further flight) …RV-12
This service document directs owners/operators to inspect flying aircraft before further flight. Van’s Aircraft has recently become aware of an EAB RV-12 where it appears that the pilot’s side control stick became disconnected in flight due to improper assembly of the F-1264 Control Stick Pushrod Assembly. Out of an abundance of caution this service bulletin requires an inspection of the F-1264 Control Stick Pushrod Assembly, the correct installation of jam nuts, and proper orientation of rod end fittings.

OFF TOPIC:
IMG_4410.JPG

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back