What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 1.24.2024 (w/ Off Topic)

Working the side sim job today, so I'll be in and out of COMM. Hope you have a nice Wednesday. Yucky WX here. Bleh.
v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE:
---------------------------------------

Canopy Interference on RV-14 forward edge...jetmart reply
There were a few threads on this very subject a couple of years back. Some had clearance issues and when canopy was tipped up it did significant damage to the top skin. Make sure you have adequate clearance now prior to painting as gaps & clearances will only get smaller. Trying searching for previous discussions. Here is some info from a discussion at the time.
VAFDR_ 114 Jan. 24.jpg

Regarding Heated Seats - Where to Plug IN?
Not a 14, but on my 8, I put connectors at the base of the seat (out of kick areas) for seat and seatback. Used two pin Molex with the panel mount ears. That way I can pop out the seatback if wearing my chute. Hid the relay behind the side panel for the back seat. Backseat switch is on the armrest, just ahead of the cushion. Front seat switch is on the right mid-cabin coverplate. The harnesses were way too long as received, so I had to do some wiring surgery to achieve my goals.
VAFDR_ 110 Jan. 23.jpg

File Under 'Might Work': Show your Build Status In Your Avatar
I saw Donjr's avatar yesterday and I thought that made for a nice way to show folks what you're working on. v/r,dr
VAFDR_ 109 Jan. 23.jpg

Monkworkz announcements, use cases and a Failure
I haven't posted a video in more than a year and over time the things you want to put out there start to really stack up and suddenly you have a 25 minute video.
Main points:
1. monkworkz.com now accepts order, you don't have to go through me to get the worlds lightest and most compact power source for your experimental airplane.
2. I have lots of happy customers running the generator as a primary, a backup or back up AND primary in at least one case at Reno.
3. I run through one of the failure modes that was induced by FOD a couple months ago and a firmware upgrade I made to help the PIC diagnose the failure.
Grab some popcorn and your favorite beverage, here it is:
VAFDR_ 111 Jan. 24.jpg

Converting Engine Update ...joew
After going back and fourth with Titan. I called several engine shops. Penn Yan and Poplar Grove and queried them. Both shops opined that this is something I could do (converting the engine). I had pulled the crank shaft plug and found it was hollow, and did see the gearing in the hole where the prop gov gear goes. Both shops were willing to help me.
Titan gave me a price break on the parts, (though I thought I paid for the, at the outset) and covered the shipping. All things considered, it was a win win.
Today I assembled the gov housing and gear and assembled the components. Installed it to the accessory case, and mounted the governor and the bracket.
VAFDR_ 112 Jan. 24.jpg

Rocket Canopy Latch ...HFS
The "Gate Latch" on my Rocket.
VAFDR_ 113 Jan. 24.jpg

Need screw hole size and pitch
Reinstalling engine after IRAN. The screw I know goes back into the marked hole refuses to go back in without feeling "wrong". Before I potentially mess up the threads, I wanted to ask if someone could just confirm the size and pitch. Once confirmed, I'll run a tap thru it. Many thanks.
VAFDR_ 115 Jan. 24.jpg

Hose Education ...TS Flightlines
A simple way of pressure testing the assembly is to use your air compressor. Use a quick coupler like Milton or others like your pneumatic rivet squeezer has. On the nipple side most are 1/4 male NPT, so get some AN 816 nipples and the corresponding NPT unions and reducing bushings to marry the parts together. Get some ANplugs to seal off the other side of the hose, then pressurize it. Submerge it under water and look for rapid bubbles from around the hose end sockets, and the nut area. You will get som bubble from under the braid, as the hose liner expands, it forces the air out, decreasing the longer the hose is submerged. Pretty soon all the bubble will disappear, provided the assembly is good. If you still have a steady stream of bubbles, then remove the air pressure and inspect the assembly to find out why.
We hydrostatically test ours, and during integration testing of our hose ends, we take then to alot higher pressure than you'll ever see in your plane.
AS for your other comment on the hose ends, I like to use a quote from Nichelle Nichols, LT, Uhura on the old Star Trek series. She once told a young officer, "Be careful what you wish for, you may get it." LOL
Tom
VAFDR_ 116 Jan. 24.jpg

And this issue's Off Topic:
VAFDR_ 117 Jan. 24.jpg

Back