What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Tunnel

gblwy

Well Known Member
It appears that the only thing located inside the "tunnel" (27-05) is brake lines.

I'm considering installing a Garmin 695 in the tunnel, and a couple of steam gauges in the panel where the 495 "should" go. The latter to comply with a UK requirement.

Any fuselage builders able to comment on whether the tunnel is a suitable location from a "technical" perspective. It seems to require a two-inch depth, for a flush mounting.

Does anyone who has sat in the real thing have a view on the ergonomics of operating a GPS, or anything else, located on the tunnel? Could you reach it with seat belts fastened?

Cheers...Keith

I don't know much about the RV-12, but I do know that the 696 is a pretty big object. I assume that the tunnel section in the RV-12 has a structural purpose, so I would think twice before cutting that big a hole in it. Perhaps better to mount the GPS on it rather than in it. Or if you must have the flush-mounted look, fabricate a lightweight facade for the tunnel and leave the real structure alone. :)

cheersm
mcb

Is the cover structural?

OK thanks. I had assumed that the tunnel sides provided structural strength, but the top cover appears to be screwedon , presumably to provide access to the brake components. I therefore assumed the cover itself was not a structural component.

A screw-on cover may be structural

If nothing else, a screw-on cover can provide lateral bracing for the tunnel sides to prevent them from buckling under load. Consequently, I think it would be a bad idea to cut a big hole in the cover.

Back