What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The SV-MAP-270 Navigation Mapping Software

Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
Please give me the G2 on this mapping software: how much does it cost and for how long is the data useable, hassles to download or install etc.

If you have input about the terrain and obstacle software I'd like hear about that too.

Thanks,
EBB

Simple

One-time license for $500--you buy it and Dynon sends you and enabling password..updates for nav every 28 days, every 56 days for obstacles (I beleive) and the terrain appears to be good for several years. Download the updates to a usb drive, plug it in, go to the maintainence menu and select the files to update. About a half-banana task. Same goes for software updates. Only problems I've had are unreliable USB drives--the Dynon does a data check and fails the update if you have bad data...I therefore will load the same update onto two separate USB drives, and use the other one if the first one fails.

Dynon s/w updates

I've only begun loading updates into Skyview the last few weeks in order to gain some comfort with it. Had thought I heard that Dynon was started by some ex-Microsoft folks so I "feared" that I'd see lots of error messages, references to load missing drivers ect... But, so such issues!

Updating s/w and the monthly FAA updates has been very uneventful. I have to compliment both Dynon and Vans, as the first time I triggered the Skyview to configure all the modules including the autopilot, every system was rocognized and linked to the Skyview screen. Still need to fully configure the ADHRs but so far I'm really impressed with the connectivity and reliability of the s/w.

Vans "includes" the $500 mapping option in the RV-12 avionics kit but you still need to get the security code from Dynon to get beyond the free 30 hour period. Did that via email and Dynon responded in a couple of days - loaded the code and all systems normal.

Back