What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Saga of Serial Number 75

Dgamble

Well Known Member
Let's start the tale of RV-12 serial number 75 with a baseline: the tail kit for my RV-12, serial number 284, arrived at my door on Tuesday, October 13, 2009, four days short of six years ago. It took three years at a relaxed pace to convert the series of sub-kits into a flying airplane. In comparison, serial number 75 flew for the first time on October 5th, 2015.

That means that it was in some state of hangar decoration for at least six years, but probably more like seven.

Why do we care? What's our interest in serial number 75?

Well, it comes down to this: I've spent the last year and a half helping to get it in the air.

It all started back in the days when I was spending quite a bit of time out at the hangar building N284DG. As anyone who has built a plane at the airport knows, they attract other airport denizens in the way a Walmart Black Friday sale attracts bargain hunters. This isn't necessarily a problem, mind you; it's often the case that a few minutes of talking about the progress being made (or, in some cases, not being made - I'm looking at you, longerons) can be quite enjoyable.

Continued: http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com/2015/10/the-saga-of-serial-number-75.html

Nice write up Dave. We are going through something like this on #203. Fortunately for us the Service Bulletins hadn't been done as well but the airframe wasn't as far along as your example but in a quickbuild stage none the less. And the tank hadn't been assembled so we got those Service Bulletins incorporated as well. I want to paint the belly while we can still turn the airframe over before proceeding further.

Back