What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Order of Things

macrafic

Well Known Member
I'm must finishing up my wings and the fuselage boxes are in my workshop. I'm beginning to look into the future and wonder about the order of things. What comes first, the engine or the avionics? Or is it a parallel thing? When should I plan on having an engine in house? What is nice to have to be able to finish the fuselage kit, or can that process stand on its own? How about the finishing kit? There is such a lead time on many of these items that I would like to put together a relative schedule for planning purposes.

Can those of you have have been through the entire build process comment on timing/schedule/process based on your own experience?

They generally go hand in hand but I prefer the engine first. You need to make sure you drill holes in your firewall in the correct location and you kind of need the engine to do that. That directly affects where you put stuff behind the panel so that you can organize your wiring runs, mounting locations for electrical gear, etc. Also, where you run wiring stuff firewall forward is influenced by where your hoses are running, etc.
Engine83.jpg

Rigging156.jpg

Amazing

Sorry for the thread drift here...

Randy, when you post pictures I often find myself in awe of what I perceive to be your amazing skills and quality of work.

Between that and your signature (multiple projects) all I can say is... when I grow up I want to be just like you! :)

Back